Beer yeast research news. Interesting!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, havent watched the video yet, but why do some manufacturers recommend re-hydration if it's just an old wives tale? They must have done pretty extensive tests, you would think, and wouldn't include an additional step unless they thought it beneficial, surely?

Edit - I've now watched the video. Mmm.... Unless the mystery manufacturer is Mangrove Jack, I shall continue to re-hydrate my yeast. Will be interested to see which manufacturer this is.

Last edited:
This info is from a presentation by Fermentis at Craft Brew 27th April, 2018 in Norway. There were people there tweeting about it a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok, havent watched the video yet, but why do some manufacturers recommend re-hydration if it's just an old wives tale? They must have done pretty extensive tests, you would think, and wouldn't include an additional step unless they thought it beneficial, surely?

Edit - I've now watched the video. Mmm.... Unless the mystery manufacturer is Mangrove Jack, I shall continue to re-hydrate my yeast. Will be interested to see which manufacturer this is.
Wouldn’t surprise me if it was Mangrove Jack. The Grainfather instructional videos show tipping the yeast in mid-way through the wort being cooled into the fermenter.

Well who fancies an experiment?
Next person to do a 25l brew, put half in one fv and the other half in another.
First fv just chuck the yeast in. T'other, beat it with a whisk like it owes you money and Chuck the yeast in.
See how the fermentation takes off and what what the gravity is each day for 2 weeks and you'll be able to tell if aeration has any effect on yeast activity and overall attenuation

It's nearly as bad as Alan partridges soothing 'letting go' audio recordings
But without the comedy

Its in the hands of the gods
Mangrove say to sprinkle into wort and a few other well known brands

Well who fancies an experiment?
Next person to do a 25l brew, put half in one fv and the other half in another.
First fv just chuck the yeast in. T'other, beat it with a whisk like it owes you money and Chuck the yeast in.
See how the fermentation takes off and what what the gravity is each day for 2 weeks and you'll be able to tell if aeration has any effect on yeast activity and overall attenuation
Not forgetting a taste test review a month later

Last edited:
I've tried rehydrating yeast in water and never found any benefit so I just sprinkle the yeast on the surface of the wort and leave it floating there.
As for aeration - I do no chill so having boiled all the oxygen out of the wort and leaving it sealed up in the FV it's always just seemed like an invitation to infection to froth up your wort. After all, air is full of all manner of bugs. The surface layer of wort however will have absorbed oxygen from the air sitting on it in the FV which of course is where you've just floated your dried yeast.

I've tried rehydrating yeast in water and never found any benefit so I just sprinkle the yeast on the surface of the wort and leave it floating there.
As for aeration - I do no chill so having boiled all the oxygen out of the wort and leaving it sealed up in the FV it's always just seemed like an invitation to infection to froth up your wort. After all, air is full of all manner of bugs. The surface layer of wort however will have absorbed oxygen from the air sitting on it in the FV which of course is where you've just floated your dried yeast.

Sounds like a pearl of wisdom out of Dutto's Book Of Brewing.

Latest posts

Back