Beer you just don't like/can't drink

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why all the hate for Hobgoblin?!

Dunno about hate. I seem to remember a few years back it was being raved about, the new darling of the beer world etc etc, but when I eventually succumbed to see what the fuss was about, I was left deeply unimpressed and feeling as if I'd been conned. Nowt wrong with it - just isn't anything more than 'ordinary'.

Nowt wrong with it - just isn't anything more than 'ordinary'.

That's it on the nose - it's the ale equivalent of Kronenbourg (almost said Carling, but that's not really fair), inoffensive, gets the job done but really you can do so much better if you just look around.

Several come to mind. Castlemaine XXXX, Budweiser, Murphys (don't like sweet stout), but I recently tried Common Ground triple coffee porter which I think is the worst thing ever to pass my lips.

There isn't a single beer style I won't drink, but I'm not so keen on pilsner and lager, much more comfortable with a best bitter, but I brew a wide range of styles.

I've found in pubs that bad beer is poorly kept or served in the wrong type of glass

I had some GSB once. I was fooled into thinking this was produced by Gales. How sadly wrong I was. After a trip to the local hospital and a stomach pump out I found out that that my bowels were full of iron filings and assorted heavy metal from GUNGES SPECIAL BITTER. hey you live and learn.

It is great to be blessed with an undiscerning palate. I can drink, and enjoy, almost all the beers mentioned above.

But there is a whole circle of hell reserved for the makers of Pelforth Brun.

I've never tried Pelforth Brun, but I love Leffe Brun, which leads me to believe I'd enjoy it. I'll be on the lookout for it in the shops.

That's it on the nose - it's the ale equivalent of Kronenbourg (almost said Carling, but that's not really fair), inoffensive, gets the job done but really you can do so much better if you just look around.

I don’t actually mind Kronenbourg. I wouldn’t choose it now if there were better beers on tap, but if I’m somewhere that doesn’t have much of a selection on tap it’s fine. Like you say gets the job done [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Went to the pub round the corner from work after my first week in a new job and was dismayed to see they had generic lager, Guinness (which I'll happily drink but it doesn't get me going unless I'm back in Ireland) and Doom Bar on the hand pull.

Doom Bar is the beer that people who aren't really interested in beer will drink. Sharpe's do some crackers like Atlantic, Sea Fury and Wolf Rock but their flagship ale is a lowest-common-denominator affair.

Asked at the bar and they're now getting Good Old Boy on for next week (one of my favourites!)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don’t actually mind Kronenbourg. I wouldn’t choose it now if there were better beers on tap, but if I’m somewhere that doesn’t have much of a selection on tap it’s fine. Like you say gets the job done [emoji23]

I don't mind it either, but that's the point. Why on earth settle for drinking something you don't mind rather then something you actually like?

(I do agree there is a place for something that just gets the job done inoffensively though)

Doom Bar is the beer that people who aren't really interested in beer will drink. Sharpe's do some crackers like Atlantic, Sea Fury and Wolf Rock but their flagship ale is a lowest-common-denominator affair.

Depends what you're drinking for. Sometimes you go to the pub for the company more than the beer, and then you don't really want a beer that's going to send you into raptures. On those occasions you just want a pleasant, easy-drinking bitter that you can enjoy 5 or 6 pints of without it blowing your head off, giving you palate fatigue, or distracting you from the conversation. That's when I reach for things like Doom Bar or London Pride or Hobgoblin. It's hardly a work of art, but horses for courses, eh?

I don’t mind your “boring” ales such as Doom Bar, and I wouldn’t say no to a pint of Fosters if there was nothing else on offer. Carling has a faint whiff of watered down **** as far as I’m concerned, and despite a phase in my teens I can’t stand Stella these days.

But the one beer that I really hate is Brewdog Hardcore IPA. I’m generally a fan of their beers (and at the absolute worst I respect their business practices) but I can’t bring myself to drink it. I got a couple of bottles in the last round of Mystery Boxes and I just can’t face the second one. I like a DIPA, that one is just unpleasant.

But the one beer that I really hate is Brewdog Hardcore IPA. I’m generally a fan of their beers (and at the absolute worst I respect their business practices) but I can’t bring myself to drink it. I got a couple of bottles in the last round of Mystery Boxes and I just can’t face the second one.

sent it to me :lol: my address is: .......

Back