Beersmith 3.0

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets hope Brad gets the CRS add-on sorted pronto.
I've never really considered the magnesium levels in my water before, but Beersmith reckons my base water is lacking in it with only 3ppm - does anyone else bother much with adjusting this with epsom salts?

I've never really considered the magnesium levels in my water before, but Beersmith reckons my base water is lacking in it with only 3ppm - does anyone else bother much with adjusting this with epsom salts?

That’s interesting as I’ve always added Epsom salts to up the magnesium to get the right profile. Only recently I have started adding salt which the BS 2 as well as the new BS 3.0 is recommending as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They do, but are suffixed with (Mash) and the acids don't make any difference to the water analysis section under the Water tab, where as salts do.

EDIT: Have sent a message to Beersmith asking if CRS/AMS can be added as an Ingredient Add-on that adjusts the water parameters in the water section, like the salts do. Will post any reply I get.

I will follow that up with a similar message to brad as well. If quite a few people ask about that add on its more likely he will put in it.

I usually add a small amount of Epsom salts to bring up the profile to about 12ppm. Careful though, magnesium is a laxative :eek:

I wouldn't worry too much about magnesium, malt usually provides enough to cover any shortfall. Or a pinch of yeast nutrient. As for the other consequence, above 100 ppm is required before you need to start worrying where the nearest toilet is.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry too much about magnesium, malt usually provides enough to cover any shortfall. Or a pinch of yeast nutrient. As for the other consequence, above 100 ppm is required before you need to start worrying where the nearest toilet is.

Yes that's right the magnesium is used allot for yeast health. But i do think there is some use for magnesium to aid mash conversion.

Thankfully i've never had any emergency throne visits......

The only magnesium in my water is from the wyeast beer nutrient. This thread has made me realise i should add some to my starters as i only use RO water.

Sorry for taking this thread off piste a little but what have people used to get their water report. Did look into a while back but forgot all of what I read.

Sorry for taking this thread off piste a little but what have people used to get their water report. Did look into a while back but forgot all of what I read.
I use a combination of the mean average from the online report from United Utilities, and also doing Salifert Alkalinity tests periodically. A local brewer showed me their Murphys report from the same supply, and it was pretty darn close, to what I have. Luckily, I'm supplied from the same reservoir throughout the year, and the that reservoir is supplied from the same streams running from the Peak District. So, my water is reasonably stable. One upside from all the rain we get.

Sent you a message [emoji1303] about the finer report details.

IMG_1761.jpg

Jyst purchased BS3 looks complicated !!!

It’s actually much much better. It now allows you to customise and record the recipe, water treatment, and all those bespoke elements. Specifically to each recipe rather than “generally overall”

This means you can record the actual development of a recipe, water mashing, water etc for a specific beer.

Don’t lose heart, and watch lots of YouTube videos. Plus ask questions on here.

Latest posts

Back