Beerworks Chinook IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrisbrew

Reaction score
Hi,

I am onto my 2nd brew now - Beerworks Chinook IPA. I have a question regarding adding the hops. I started the brew on Friday and it has been nicely bubbling away. Fermentation/Bubbling has now slowed down (maybe around 60s per bubble) so my question is do I add the hops now (instructions say day 5) or should I wait until the airlock bubbling has completely or almost stopped.

I'm sure on my previous brew I just stuck to the instructions and it turned out ok (Bohemian Pils) but I seem to remember it was still bubbling regularly when I added hops on that one.

Just curious as to what other people do regarding adding the hops and what, if any difference it would make adding hops a day or 2 later.

Cheers

Personally I wait until fermentation is over before adding the dry hop. Seems daft to risk loosing any of the flavour / aroma that could happen if they're added to a still active fermentation with plenty of CO2 still being produced to drive off the aromas.

Generally I let it do it's thing for 2 weeks without really looking at it, then check the gravity, if it seems like it's finished / low enough I'll lob in the hops, leave for 2-3 days, cold crash for 1-2 days and then keg or bottle.

Made the Chinook IPA last year, it was very good and I have another batch conditioning as I write this.

Latest posts

Back