Beerworks President's Sierra American Pale Ale review

Discussion in 'Member Reviews - Beer Kits and Brewing Equipment.' started by GhostShip, Jul 1, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jul 1, 2019 #1

GhostShip

GhostShip

GhostShip

Sierra1.jpg

Kit contents:
    3kg extract.
    650g brewing sugar.
    20g US West Coast beer yeast.
    50g Citra hops.
    150g priming sugar.
    Muslin bag.

Sierra2.jpg

Brew day was Saturday 27th April 2019.

Brewed to 23L, using Tesco Ashbeck mineral water. Added 250g light spray malt.

Used kit yeast (20g West Coast beer yeast).

50g citra hops (supplied with kit) added on 2nd May. As per kit instructions, mixed with 500ml boiling water, crushed with a knife and spooned into the FV (leaving any hop debris behind).

Batch primed in barrel using sugar supplied with kit (150g) and bottled on 7th May. Put into the brew fridge at 21ºC.

Fridge switched to cold on 22nd May.

Moved to outdoor shed on 6th June.

First pint - 28th June 2019.

Sierra3.jpg

Beautiful golden colour with a nice head and perfect carbonation. Nice bitterness with a subtle hop aroma and taste. The best kit I've ever done is the Young's AIPA, but this is pushing it close - if I had one complaint, it's that the hop aroma and taste could be a bit stronger and more conditioning time is not going to change that. Other than the addition of the light spraymalt, I followed the kit instructions to the letter, so if I do it again, I may leave the hops in for an extra couple of days. My complaint is a minor one though - it's a really lovely beer and I'd highly recommend this to anyone who likes golden/craft ales.

@Chippy_Tea I searched the reviews thread but couldn't find this one - could you add it to the A-Z please? Thank you!

2. Jul 1, 2019 #2

Graz

Graz

Graz

Landlord.

I made a few Beerworks kits and every one of the has been pretty top notch. Haven't done the above but will do at some point.

With regard to the dry hopping I've always found I had a better hop aroma and taste when I've left the hops in for less time rather than more. The compounds imparted from the hops are fairly volatile so if left too long before kegging / bottling may get driven out of the beer. I tend to give it two days at brewing temperature, then cold crash for 24 hours, then package it.

GhostShip likes this.
  3. Jul 1, 2019 #3

soupdragon

soupdragon

soupdragon

If I could only do one kit ever again it'd be this. My previous favourite kit was the razorback ipa but this knocks spots off it.

Cheers. Tom

GhostShip likes this.
  4. Aug 9, 2019 #4

GhostShip

GhostShip

GhostShip

Put a few bottles of this brew in the fridge last night for the weekend. Came in tonight gasping for a beer. The first two were fantastic, but I knew there was something wrong with the third as soon as I opened it. There was no ‘hiss’ at all. Nothing. When I poured it, I could see it was flat, but the real surprise came when I tasted it. It was horrible.

Obviously a leak in the bottle - either I hadn’t put the lid on properly or it was just a bad fit. Either way, I assume I have just experienced oxidation. It was completely undrinkable.

I’m very pleased to report that bottle four was every bit as good as bottles one and two.

5. Nov 9, 2019 #5

GhostShip

GhostShip

GhostShip

Had three pints of this last night and another three tonight. If anything, it’s got better. Crystal clear, perfectly carbonated and a lovely golden colour. Perfect bitterness with a nice, fruity finish. If I was served this in a pub (which is always my acid test), I’d be delighted. Will definitely investigate other Beerworks kits. Right up there with Young’s AIPA.

Mungri likes this.
  6. Nov 9, 2019 #6

soupdragon

soupdragon

soupdragon

The first one of the range I tried was the Yorkshire bitter and to be honest I wasn't that impressed. This beastie is another matter though, excellent beer acheers.

Cheers Tom

GhostShip likes this.