Beerworks President's Sierra American Pale Ale review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that!!!
Could I ask a couple of extra questions (sorry to carry on, I'm just eager to learn)?
Your inkbird thermostat I assume also comes through the drain hole of the fridge? Do you tape it to the fermentation vessel or drop in into the brew?

When you say secondary fermentation, I assume that would be when you've bottled? Or is it in a separate fermenter? Do you cold crash before bottling and/or use finings?

I have two more kits (but going to wait until I get the fridge) then thinking of doing smaller 10litre AG brews on my stove top to compare what they're like. Have you tried any All grain brewing?

Again, thanks for your info and help!

No problem - happy to help. Yes, sorry - the wire to the Inkbird probe also fits through the drain hole. I would never drop the probe into the brew - not worth the risk of contamination. I normally tape it to the outside of the fermenting vessel and then tape a layer of bubble wrap over the probe, given that it's the temperatue inside the vessel that's important, rather than outside.

Yes - secondary fermentation always takes place in the bottles. I use PET (plastic) bottles which I really like because as the carbonation starts, so you can feel the bottles 'tighten' as the pressure inside builds. It gives you an instant guide that it's working. One tip I learned on here is that once I've bottled, before I put the screw cap on, I squeeze the bottle slightly to push some of the oxygen out and then cap. This leaves me with a slightly odd shaped bottle, but the way they regain their original shape is amazing and means there's less chance of oxidation. None of this is possible with glass bottles obviously!

I have actually just started cold crashing the fermenting vessel while it's in the fridge. This is only because of lockdown! I just have more time to do things and am not restricted to weekends. I can't comment on what difference this might make because that brew (Mangrove Jack's Juicy Session IPA) is still in the fridge, but if the beer is very clear then it's something I'll try to do with every kit I make. I'll post a review of the Juicy Session IPA in the appropriate thread in a few weeks (patience, remember?!!!).

I have never done all grain. It might be something I look at in the future, but I struggle to find the time to do kits sometimes, so all grain would be even worse. When I started 3/4 years ago, my aim was just to see if I could get a decent pint from a kit (which had obviously improved a lot since my early days when it was Tom Caxton, John Bull, or nothing!). My latest kit (MJ Pink Grapefruit IPA) is probably the best I've done. It's an absolutely cracking pint and I'm hoping for the same with my Juicy Session. Prior to that, my big successes were the Young's American IPA and the President's Sierra APA. There's also a real sense of satisfaction when you brew something you're proud of and when you get favourable comments from other beer lovers. In a nutshell, it's a great little hobby - enjoy it!

Mangrove Jack's Juicy Session IPA is my next brew!!! I look forward to your review. I'm excited for the brew fridge now!

Thanks for all the info again!!!

This beer just seems to keep changing!!! A lovely one tonight, 8 weeks in the bottle. I think it's maybe a bit sweet??? Did this happen with anyone? No bitter aftertaste (and I'm not a fan of bitter aftertastes) but I feel like it could do with it. Looks very similar to @GhostShip pic. I'm doing well with giving it time. Hope everyone is doing well with this. I can't taste the alcohol at all in it now, definite citra, but maybe slightly too sweet?? I'd like to know other people's experience on taste. There's a definite likeness to Punk IPA there, I think.

This beer just seems to keep changing!!! A lovely one tonight, 8 weeks in the bottle. I think it's maybe a bit sweet??? Did this happen with anyone? No bitter aftertaste (and I'm not a fan of bitter aftertastes) but I feel like it could do with it. Looks very similar to @GhostShip pic. I'm doing well with giving it time. Hope everyone is doing well with this. I can't taste the alcohol at all in it now, definite citra, but maybe slightly too sweet?? I'd like to know other people's experience on taste. There's a definite likeness to Punk IPA there, I think.

I must admit, I wouldn't describe mine as sweet. The hop aroma was fairly subtle, but there was a perfect bitterness. Looking back, I wouldn't have added the light spraymalt as I'd prefer to try any kit without additions first. I had some spraymalt that needed using up so I chucked it in without really thinking. There again, they've obviously changed the kit contents a bit since I bought it - I had 650g of brewing sugar whereas the kit now seems to come with 1kg of glucose powder. The more experienced brewers on here might be able to say how this could affect the final beer. I hope they haven't changed it to the detriment of the final product, because this was one of the best beers I've ever done - beautiful pint.

My possibly second to final update on this one as I've now consumed the keg I had of it but also have a few bottles that I'll likely save for Xmas...

I don't know what happened to it being overly malty, either I got used to the flavour or it did mellow in the second half of the keg. Definitely a nicer pint at the end than when I first started drinking it. Bit of a shame as I'm now hitting critical mass again it would have had longer to mature if I had made it now and it might have tasted great from the outset.

Would I make it again? Not sure really, think I'll base my decision on the what the bottles are like and if they're good then maybe I will and definitely leave it at least a month before drinking next time.

I'm making this up tomorrow...hopefully I will be enjoying it throughout the summer, can't wait!.

This beer just seems to keep changing!!! A lovely one tonight, 8 weeks in the bottle. I think it's maybe a bit sweet??? Did this happen with anyone? No bitter aftertaste (and I'm not a fan of bitter aftertastes) but I feel like it could do with it.

After secondary fermentation in the bottle I put this in a cold shed on 29 November. I had my first taste on 3 November. It was very bitter but I thought offered great promise as the bitterness subsides.
However I had a bottle last night, around 5 weeks later and was disappointed - the bitterness had subsided to reveal a sweet maltiness. That might suit some, but to me it was too sweet. I’ll happily drink it but won’t be brewing it again. Unless of course the next bottles grow on me!

I have what might be a silly question about this kit which I note has 50gms of Citra hops. There must be at least one solid fan on here of Adnams Ghost Ship which uses Citra hops and which to put it mildly is not to my taste. On the other hand I find Oakham Citra whether draft or in bottle to be pure nectar. I think the latter uses a blend of hops but would have thought Citra would be dominant given the name. Which of those two does this kit resemble more please ?Depending on the answer it might go on my to do list!

I have what might be a silly question about this kit which I note has 50gms of Citra hops. There must be at least one solid fan on here of Adnams Ghost Ship which uses Citra hops and which to put it mildly is not to my taste. On the other hand I find Oakham Citra whether draft or in bottle to be pure nectar. I think the latter uses a blend of hops but would have thought Citra would be dominant given the name. Which of those two does this kit resemble more please ?Depending on the answer it might go on my to do list!
"Whether draught...."!

Back