Beetroot Wine from juice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Fox

Reaction score
Just picked up 2 x Beetroot juice and 1 x Welches Purple Grape. Planning to try a Beetroot wine with them. Anyone got any experience with this? The Beetroot is called Beet it and is 90% Beetroot juice, 10% Apple. I have heard Beetroots can be a bit earthy but hoping as it is already a juice it will be ok

I think your proposed wine will be fine.

As I have explained to another member wines rarely taste anything like the starter ingrediants
they mostly end up tasting like wine.

When making supermarket juice wine the thing that is most important is to buy only the pure juice,ie no preservitives esp sorbate.Check this is so.
Fruit "drinks" are rarely satisfactory due to all the additives.

Beetroot wine is quite popular in country wine circles.And will not be the same as a beer.
Your beetroot/apple/grape combination should be just fine.

The WOW guide on this forum will be a good guide if you are a beginner.
The only thing I would say is keep it ALL juice if you can,As any added water will just make the wine thinner.
So fill your demijohn with just juice.

I had a Coles Family Brewery (Llanddarog) `Matilda's Beetroot Ale' once and thought it was quite nice despite the fact that I loathe beetroot (which always tastes of nothing but soil to me).

I think your proposed wine will be fine.

As I have explained to another member wines rarely taste anything like the starter ingrediants
they mostly end up tasting like wine.

When making supermarket juice wine the thing that is most important is to buy only the pure juice,ie no preservitives esp sorbate.Check this is so.
Fruit "drinks" are rarely satisfactory due to all the additives.

Beetroot wine is quite popular in country wine circles.And will not be the same as a beer.
Your beetroot/apple/grape combination should be just fine.

The WOW guide on this forum will be a good guide if you are a beginner.
The only thing I would say is keep it ALL juice if you can,As any added water will just make the wine thinner.
So fill your demijohn with just juice.
Thanks Progg99 it’s pure organic juice 90% Beet, 10% apple so should be ok

Hiya.I`m new here so just looking through threads of interest so sorry if this is a bit out of date but I have done this wine myself last Feb.
It was an organic Beetroot/apple juice same % ratio as above.I used just 1litre carton topped to a gallon with boiling water and 3lb of sugar,it started at 1122 and ended at 1015,so a tad sweet but a meaty 14.7%.
It finished last July so is still maturing but I have sampled half a glass and it`s not bad,clear and has a very beetrooty taste.I think If I had used all juice it would have way too strong a flavour.
Hope yours is going well.

Thanks Progg99 it’s pure organic juice 90% Beet, 10% apple so should be ok
The Beetroot wine turned out fine. I used 3 litres Beet it and 3 litres Welches Purple , 1500 grms sugar, 500 grms honey and all the usual stuff. Everyone said was my best wine to date

The Beetroot wine turned out fine. I used 3 litres Beet it and 3 litres Welches Purple , 1500 grms sugar, 500 grms honey and all the usual stuff. Everyone said was my best wine to date
Topped up with water to 15 litres

People seem to say it tastes earthy and doesn't make a good wine on it's own. Great colour though. Does it keep the colour or go brown?

People seem to say it tastes earthy and doesn't make a good wine on it's own. Great colour though. Does it keep the colour or go brown?
Used 50/50 Beet Juice and purple grape. Lovely red colour. Slightly earthy on the palette but lovely flavour

So it's just a litre of beetroot and a litre of grape juice per gallon? and the rest is water?

(and sugar obviously)

So it's just a litre of beetroot and a litre of grape juice per gallon? and the rest is water?

(and sugar obviously)
I use 4 ltrs Beet it and 4 ltrs Purple Grape and make it up to 16 - 18 ltrs. Then 2 bags sugar and 2 jars of honey. Lemon juice, black tea and the usual chemicals. Worked so well I have another batch in the go

Everyone says it’s the best I’ve made so far although Asda Cherry juice is very good too 50/50 purple grape

Just finished my latest batch of Beetroot. This is by far my most popular wine. This is best yet;

3 ltrs Welches Purple Grape
2 ltrs Beet It
2 ltrs Tropicana mixed berry
2kg Sugar
750 grms honey
lemon juice
Black tea
Pectolase

made up to 16 ltrs, 19 bottles.

delightful full bodied red, bit drier than previous, very quaffable

Back