Before I brew, could I please get some recipe advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JebKerman

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Recently bought a big old load of Simcoe, Citra and Cascade and am looking to use up the last of my Centennial.

Would really appreciate if someone could give a wee look over this for me please.

It's a 3 Gallon IPA, being done BIAB, but can't figure out how Beersmith works to add a new kettle profile etc.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1848634/west-coast-ipa

I knew there was a reason I liked SMASH brews. :thumb:

What's a "new kettle profile"? I can't see it mentioned anywhere. Sorry. :wave:

I should really do a SMaSH at some point...

By Kettle profile I mean, I'm struggling to figure how to get Beersmith to recognise a 3 gallon BIAB in a 20litre pan

Just Google "gallons to litres", feed in the required amounts and then jot the answers down alongside the ones in the recipe.

Or, click on Recipes at the top of this page and ask for the same recipe with "metric" as the measurements. This will stop having to work out ounces for grams etc.

e.g. 4.35 gallons is 16.5 litres

Enjoy! It's half the fun! :thumb:

I am just now brewing a beer with exactly those hops.
This time I wanted to brew with a lot of hop. With really a lot.

Amount: 25L
SG: 1,053
Calculated IBU: 52 (Rager)

Grain Bill:
5.7kg Pale Malt
0.3kg Cara 120

Mash for 60 minutes at 67 celsius.

Hop gifts:
40 min boil without hop
20 g cascade (20 min)
20 g citra (20 min)
30 g cascade (10 min)
30 g citra (10 min)
20 g simcoe (10 min)
30 g cascade (flameout at 80 C)
30 g citra (flameout at 80 C)
20 g simcoe (flameout at 80 C)
100 g cascade (dry hop)
100 g citra (dry hop)
50 g simcoe (dry hop)

Yeast:
10g Crossmyloof Brewery US Pale yeast.

Fermentation temperature 18 C, after 90% of fermentation is complete boosted to 21 C (diacetyl rest and increased speed of fermentation).

Simca, citra and cascade are a good combo. If it was me I would ditch the 60m and do 15,5,flamout with equal amount of hops to whatever IBU you want. Dry hop as much as you want and use a brewcalc.

Would that give more of a NEIPA type beer with no bittering hops @60m?

I am just now brewing a beer with exactly those hops.
This time I wanted to brew with a lot of hop. With really a lot.

Amount: 25L
SG: 1,053
Calculated IBU: 52 (Rager)

Grain Bill:
5.7kg Pale Malt
0.3kg Cara 120

Mash for 60 minutes at 67 celsius.

Hop gifts:
40 min boil without hop
20 g cascade (20 min)
20 g citra (20 min)
30 g cascade (10 min)
30 g citra (10 min)
20 g simcoe (10 min)
30 g cascade (flameout at 80 C)
30 g citra (flameout at 80 C)
20 g simcoe (flameout at 80 C)
100 g cascade (dry hop)
100 g citra (dry hop)
50 g simcoe (dry hop)

Yeast:
10g Crossmyloof Brewery US Pale yeast.

Fermentation temperature 18 C, after 90% of fermentation is complete boosted to 21 C (diacetyl rest and increased speed of fermentation).

That's a lot of hops... :fart:

But how would you get the same IBU unless you added more hops?
And then would there be any need for a full 60 min boil considering no pilsner malt is being used

Within sensible limits (*) for Bittering Hops I've always been taught the same IBU can be achieved by:
  • Boiling less hops for longer time. or
  • Boiling more hops for a shorter time.
(*)
"Sensible limits" being that there is a limit as to how much "bitterness" can be extracted from a given amount of Hops; and that depends on the hops themselves.

Its not even really clear what a NEIPA is.
Its not yet an official recognized beer style in any competition.

Me too so I Googled it and got this:

"For those who aren't in the know, a NEIPA is essentially an unfiltered IPA or Double IPA that's been aggressively hopped. Appearance ranges from slightly hazy or cloudy to opaque or muddy."
So, a NEIPA is essentially brewed by condescending pricks (i.e. those who are 'in the know') who live in New England, like hopped beers and (like most other brewers) don't filter their beer before bottling. However, they drink it before it's had time to condition and thereby clear properly.

Of course, that's just my own take on the answers supplied by Google, as those in the know will appreciate! :thumb:

Or it could just be a style popular amongst New England brewers and drinkers, in the same way Porter was popular in London a century a go.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Back