Beginner To Making Alcohol. Tips, General Information That Will Be Helpful?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scream

Reaction score
I've been thinking about making my own alcohol for years now. More specifically Rum, however I think that's for another time.
I dislike jumping into something without having any understanding or any knowledge on the subject at all.
I've been doing some research and I've also watched plenty of videos on people making it. I take what some people do with a pinch of salt and listening more to those I think look like they know what they're doing.
I don't actually have any of the equipment but plan on buying it soon.
I'm not sure what else I can really add aside from simply stating again that I'm a beginner and want to learn helpful information that will hopefully help me produce a good first batch. It truly is appreciated the help and info that is supplied to me. Thank you.

What do you want to make? No point us wasting words if it's not something you're interested in doing.

Everyone is going to say learn to clean stuff, so just let's get that out of the way as it's pretty boring.

If it's beer you might want to try doing a simple kit, then maybe a little mash to add to a kit or a smash (google smash beer). Or you might want to do a wine kit. I find a decent wine kit gives pretty impressive results straight away, beer kits can really be variable.

And don't buy lager kits. I don't care about anybody's opinion on it - they're ****.

Well, I think you could start with a mead. Why? Not too many steps, about the same amount of ingredients, fairly high ABV, same rules of sanitation. Not really as (for lack of a better word) macho as rum, but it can have a punch athumb..

Making rum would, if I recall correctly, involve a distilling step. Not completely legal without permits in a lot of places. Maybe something like an Alcotec™ yeast could get the ABV up to 20% without much hassle.

addendum: skip lagers, what @Drunkula says. Not worth it.

Apologises. Should have stated I intend to produce mead. I've heard it's suppose to be one of the easier ones to make and therefore a good starting point.

Welcome to The Forum! :thumb:

Mead takes forever to mature but "taste's as good as you can get" so if nothing else, you will learn:
  1. Patience. By the time you have tasted it over a period of a year you will realise that the wait was worthwhile.
  2. Anger. By the time the mead has matured you will be angry that you didn't brew more.
Enjoy the fun and get your second brew on; and keep repeating the process until you reach "Critical Mass" and have time to consider what's next!

Enjoy! :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back