beginners kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graham gillam

Reaction score
Hello been brewing kits for a while now but would like to move on and have a go at the grain mash, attempt some nice ales, Looking for a decent beginner kit with all the necessary equipment plus instructions lol. Any advice welcome plus if there's some threads already there please point me to them. Thank you

Check out the how to guides on here you will realise what direction you want to go in and equipment needed

Someone posted this a while back ebay starter kit. This is an example of what would normally be included in a starter kit. Most of the kits offered by the main suppliers seem to be out of stock at present, probably due to the recent burgeoning interest in home brewing.

You don't have to brew in 5 gallon (23 litre) batches, 10-12 litres may prove to more suited for you, this would make the stock pot / kettle and other components more affordable.

Last edited:
If you have been brewing kits, you already have most of the equipment you need for part grain.
All you would need to add is a 15ltr "stock pot" and a decent digi thermometer, both pretty cheap.It will take a couple of hours to brew, but well worth the extra time.

You can get ready made part grain kitts from places like darkrock brewing and they will come with full instructions.

https://darkrockbrewing.co.uk/beer/part-grain-beer-kits.html

What have you been doing with your kits so far?
Just the kit and a kilo? If you just use a kit and kilo it's not much of a jump up to steep some grain and add some hops.
That's what I do and it's much better than just a kit and kilo.
Tell us what you've done so far please.

What have you been doing with your kits so far?
Just the kit and a kilo? If you just use a kit and kilo it's not much of a jump up to steep some grain and add some hops.
That's what I do and it's much better than just a kit and kilo.
Tell us what you've done so far please.
just been doing the coopers kits 40pint mainly lager tried a few ales but never really liked them much ok but nothing special, so thought maybe going the grain way might result in something better, i like amber ales looked at the dark rock brewing which chillipickle mentioned may have a go

I've yet to bottle my first dip into AG (it's fermenting right now), but reviews from others on here made me try out Oak Home Brew's small batch AG kits. They sell 5L AG kits that allow you to ferment in your demijohn. You'll only get about 8 bottles from it, but it'll give you a chance to try AG to decide if it's for you, before going to bigger batches. The only thing that I had to buy, on top of all my current brewing equipment, was an 11L stockpot.

https://oakhomebrew.co.uk/beer-kits1/index

I've yet to bottle my first dip into AG (it's fermenting right now), but reviews from others on here made me try out Oak Home Brew's small batch AG kits. They sell 5L AG kits that allow you to ferment in your demijohn. You'll only get about 8 bottles from it, but it'll give you a chance to try AG to decide if it's for you, before going to bigger batches. The only thing that I had to buy, on top of all my current brewing equipment, was an 11L stockpot.

https://oakhomebrew.co.uk/beer-kits1/index
thanks for that scott was looking around for somebody who did 5 ltr kits looking at the freckled birdie kit now lol

thanks for that scott was looking around for somebody who did 5 ltr kits looking at the freckled birdie kit now lol
It's the Freckled Birdie that I've got fermenting at the moment. I also got the Steady On kit. There's a thread on here about Oak Home Brew too, which I'll update with my findings once the Freckled Birdie is ready.

There are a few others that do 5L kits, so look around. I just liked the look of Oak Home Brew. Ale Smith Home Brew is another that looked good - link below, and I found a few on EBay too.

https://www.alesmithinghomebrew.co.uk/brewing-bag-all-grain-kits

just been doing the coopers kits 40pint mainly lager tried a few ales but never really liked them much ok but nothing special, so thought maybe going the grain way might result in something better, i like amber ales looked at the dark rock brewing which chillipickle mentioned may have a go
You don't have to jump from Kit & Kilo to all grain.
The majority of my brews I steep 250 grams of carapils or crystal grain.
I only use light dry malt extract, not dextrose or sugar.
Add at least 50 grams of hops.
Saflager yeast.
Temperature control.
I'm happy with my beer. I don't have the time to do all grain.
Couldn't be bothered to do just 5 litres.
My next step would be doing some fresh wort kits.
Having said that I've recently met a local homebrewing and we have a few beers every now and then.
He makes fresh wort kits and we agree my beer is on a par with his.
The difference is the range of fresh wort kits. He's recently made a Japanese lager. It's very nice.

Last edited:
You don't have to jump from Kit & Kilo to all grain.
The majority of my brews I steep 250 grams of carapils or crystal grain.
I only use light dry malt extract, not dextrose or sugar.
Add at least 50 grams of hops.
Saflager yeast.
Temperature control.
I'm happy with my beer. I don't have the time to do all grain.
Couldn't be bothered to do just 5 litres.
My next step would be doing some fresh wort kits.
Having said that I've recently met a local homebrewing and we have a few beers ever now and then.
He makes fresh wort kits and we agree my beer is on a par with his.
The difference is the range of fresh wort kits. He's recently made a Japanese lager. It's very nice.
I know what you mean Pete - a lot of time and effort for 8 bottles. I'm only doing it to see if I enjoy the experience and if the brews are indeed better than what I've brewed to date using extract kits (I've made a couple of beauties!). I did quite enjoy the whole mash, sparge, boil etc experience, so once I've tried my current brew and then my next 5L batch, I'll decide whether to change to mostly AG and scale up. I think the dilemma will be whether to go with a brewzilla type system or keep it simple with large kettle and BIAB. 🤷‍♂️

I know what you mean Pete - a lot of time and effort for 8 bottles. I'm only doing it to see if I enjoy the experience and if the brews are indeed better than what I've brewed to date using extract kits (I've made a couple of beauties!). I did quite enjoy the whole mash, sparge, boil etc experience, so once I've tried my current brew and then my next 5L batch, I'll decide whether to change to mostly AG and scale up. I think the dilemma will be whether to go with a brewzilla type system or keep it simple with large kettle and BIAB. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, fair enough if that's what you want to do.
To be honest I'm happy with the 20 litre batches I do at the moment.
Four or Five years off retirement. Then maybe I'll contemplate all grain.

Latest posts

Back