Behind The Curve (Documentary on Flat Earthers)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
using that reason to promote other agenda
The FE guy who was featured lives with his mom in an ordinary house. His podcast makes him some dough, I suppose, and he gets treated well by the FE believers. He's hardly making a killing at it.
I think they do believe the Earth is flat and I've seen some pretty good explanations amongst the posts here that explains why they would believe something that is easily disproven.

One of the experts in the documentary mentioned the Dunning Kruger Effect ( people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability). These FE folks say they "do their research" and so forth. They are convinced that their investigatory methods are sound. I would say that explanation could be added to the others about why someone would adhere strongly to a conspiracy.
You rarely hear someone who's clearly a terrible driver say or admit that they are a terrible driver. They'll often believe they are excellent at driving and it's everyone else who's terrible.

image.jpeg

One of the experts in the documentary mentioned the Dunning Kruger Effect ( people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability). These FE folks say they "do their research" and so forth. They are convinced that their investigatory methods are sound. I would say that explanation could be added to the others about why someone would adhere strongly to a conspiracy.
You rarely hear someone who's clearly a terrible driver say or admit that they are a terrible driver. They'll often believe they are excellent at driving and it's everyone else who's terrible.

1627025686293.png

I don't think it's a question of intelligence. I think lots of people believe what suits them, irregardless of intellect. See post #20. As John Lennon said, 'Whatever gets you through the night'
I think you’re right. Flat earthers, holocaust deniers, young earth creationists, anti vaccers, they’re all bathsh!t crazy as far as I’m concerned but a lot of them are very intelligent people.

I think you’re right. Flat earthers, holocaust deniers, young earth creationists, anti vaccers, they’re all bathsh!t crazy as far as I’m concerned but a lot of them are very intelligent people.

You always get the feeling that they are normally relatively intelligent, but usually only superficially so. They are the type that feel that they should be more successful than they are. They latch onto conspiracy as it is the one thing that makes them feel superior and "in the know".

Your dead right DD2 my neighbour who believed and propagated this stuff before dying of lung cancer ( which he said he could never get due to being a strict wholefood vegan despite 80 fags a day. ) was very intelligent however he was very poorly educated (or brainwashed as he would put it.) due to missing most of his years of schooling by being relentlessly bullied.
He grew up to hate and distrust the system.
And suffered the consequences until at last becoming a Triple locked pensioner.

His anger at the state never subsided though

Hence the flat earth, new world order,agenda21,etc, etc.

I was the one in 2019 who entered his flat in order to make him some soup and discovered him dead behind the door and covered in a pool of blood,A very unpleasant experience I can tell you.

Last edited:
I’ve never really equates conspiracy theorists with being purely anti-establishment, but I do find that they tend to be terrible at assessing the reliability of sources, voice distrust to data and are very easily swayed by stories and anecdotes.
Many are also convinced that everything is the will of an all-powerful group of overlords (for want of a better word) yet the truth may be much more frightening- no one is actually in control.

I saw the documentary on the subject yesterday. According to it, a great many people believe the Earth is flat and that folks who believe it's round have been being fooled for centuries. It was very interesting to hear the arguments in favor of the Earth being flat.
What I observed that was most revelatory about Flat Earthers was that in two instances, Flat Earthers did experiments themselves to prove the Earth was flat and in each case the experiment supported the fact that the Earth was round (one with a super fancy gyroscope and one with light using distance). In spite of the tangible data, they still were not willing to concede the Earth was round.
I don't know if we have any HBFErs or not. Personally, I do not know any Flat Earthers.
View attachment 51314
Is this really relevant to a home brewing forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back