Behind The Curve (Documentary on Flat Earthers)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want a laugh and want to see that there really are many many flat earthers out there go and find Scimandan on you tube. He’s a proper flatearther debunker and it’s hilarious.

I'm not sure why people think the concept of a flat earth is so laughable. Otherwise intelligent people still believe there is a god, try disagreeing with them and they refuse to accept any logical argument but have an unending supply of mumbo-jumbo to prove their faith is true. Now doesn't that sound a bit like our flat earthers?

I'm not sure why people think the concept of a flat earth is so laughable. Otherwise intelligent people still believe there is a god, try disagreeing with them and they refuse to accept any logical argument but have an unending supply of mumbo-jumbo to prove their faith is true. Now doesn't that sound a bit like our flat earthers?
I reckon that deep down we all 'believe' something a bit irrational. It's when it becomes a shared and divisive dogma that it gets a bit crazy, religion being a good example. I think that you drawing a parallel between religion and flat earthing is spot on, but I can't see it going down well!

Watch some scimandan on youtube and you realise that yes it really is that laughable and it really doesn’t stack up scientifically. Even remotely.

Grand, I believe in God and I reckon I'm half way intelligent.
I even read a book once.

On a totally seperate note, wasn't one of the reasons why the Brexit thread was moved behind the memebers pay wall was because religion was brought up?

As for flat earthers, I believe people are having less trust in their governments (obviously depending where you reside).

I believe people are having less trust in their governments (obviously depending where you reside).

I'm jumping to the end of the thread here, without having read all the previous comments, but I think this is a crucial point. People will be believe enough rubbish about anything, if they've 'done their own research', ie, spent a few minutes in the outer zones of Twitter or Facebook. obviously, I 'm not saying due suspicion of governments isn't wrong, they should be held to account, but really, go to some creditable sources!

I'm really upset now! My geography teacher was called Terry Pratchett and now it seems you people think he might be wrong. So Australia isn't on the counterweight continent? And Cor Coriolis isn't at the top of India? And the Arch-chancellor of UU doesn't live at No 10. Downing Street? oh dear. I should take life more seriously.

Seems I’m lost and I don’t know my
Way around

@BeerJ

As has been said the Snug is for all non brewing related chat (brewing chat is not actually banned) basically you can discuss anything that doesn't break the forum rules here.

The Snug
This is the place for all non brewing chat.

While I agree with the sentiment, your reasoning is backwards.
The existence of a god has never been proved yet, so there is nothing to disprove.
I don't think that is how it works. Flat earth people say that the earth is flat. This can easily be proven to be false, so it is wrong.

Religious people mostly believe in some kind of deity; this cannot be proven (scientifically) false.

We can, however, point to a large body of evidence that deity's don't exist, but cannot scientifically prove that they don't.

I don't think that is how it works. Flat earth people say that the earth is flat. This can easily be proven to be false, so it is wrong.

Religious people mostly believe in some kind of deity; this cannot be proven (scientifically) false.

We can, however, point to a large body of evidence that deity's don't exist, but cannot scientifically prove that they don't.

Burden of proof is on the person claiming the existence of something.

Science has proven the existence of the globe-shaped planet (it just so happens that this disproves the flat earth theory).

Maybe I wasn’t clear - the burden of proof is on the person who makes the claim.
If religious people think there is a god then they need to prove it.
Imagine that someone claimed that they could levitate, you’d ask them to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back