Belgian ale fermentation finished after three days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmio

Reaction score
Hi guys!

We brewed this last Sunday, following this recipe for a 10L batch:

- 1.7 kg Maris Otter (68%)
- 400 g Abbey Malt (16%)
- 400 g CaraMunich II (16%)

- 14g East Kent Goldings (5.5%AA) 60m
- 5g East Kent Goldings (5.5%AA) 20m
- 21g Saaz (2.6%AA) 0m

- 1/4 Protafloc 10m

- Half package LalBrew Abbaye Belgian

After a lot of activity in the first three days, where the room temperature was around 21°C, on Thursday it almost stopped. The room temp also dropped to 19 ish.

OG was 13.6%brix at 20°C (1.052, corrected (1.04)) and since Wednesday it is stable at 7%brix (1.012 also corrected and also after applying the alcohol correction with the Brewers Friend refractometer calculator)

Is it ready for bottling tomorrow, or it would be better to wait another week, to give time to the protafloc to work?
Are the gravity calculations correct?

Cheers

3 days isn't very long for primary fermentation, and 1.012 is a bit high. it probably has some sugars still fermenting.

Measure it every few days with your refractometer (I tend to take a few samples as my refractometer readings can vary a bit from sample to sample). Once it's stable for a few days, then it's good to bottle.

Edit. Sorry, I misread the post. If it's been stable for a few days it's probably ok to bottle. But longer in the primary won't do it any harm. The yeast will drop out and it'll be clearer the more you leave it, so it's largely up to you as to whether you need to bottle it now, or can wait another few days/week.

Back