Belgian Ale success!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My batch is now in demi-johns under locks. Like the OP, I am finding that this beer continues fermenting when other brews have stopped! Which is perhaps not surprising, considering the type of beer and yeast used. it's been fermenting for 11 days now, and looks like it could continue for a bit yet. Action through the airlock is slow, although I can see bubbles on the surface through the demi-john glass. Like a pint of draught bitter that's been left 15 minutes. So not negligible. Hence I'm hanging on a bit before bottling. However, the gravity has barely changed for days now, at around 1009. belgian.jpg

Last edited:
I bottled mine a week ago. I used MG M42 Belgian Ale Yeast and it tokk about 11 days before the airlock stopped bubbling. It got down from 1050 to 1002 giving an ABV of about 6.2%. That's slightly annoying because I didn't really want it to be so strong, but I boiled the wort too long and have endeed up with only 9.5 litres.
On bottling I have to say it didn't taste great - quite 'home-brewey', IO think my previous batch was similar and it ended up tasting good after about 6-8 weeks in the bottle.

I'm on Day 12, but mine hasn't dropped that far! I seem to be stuck around 1009. Also I didn't achieve the max OG, so now I'm reckoning on an ABV of about 4.9%. Which is strong enough for me. Mine is quite murky too, but I imagine I'll bottle it in the next day or two.

Back