Belgian Dubbel Style with wyeast 1388

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidHatton

Reaction score
Brewed my first attempt at Belgian beers with a Dubbel, brew day went good no slip ups. Cooled the wort down quickly and had it in the fermenter by 4pm, main point is fermented with wyeast belgian strong 1388.
went down the cellar friday morn the next day, just to check, all is well, krausen and bubbling. paid it a second visit saturday night no krausen and no bubbling, had read that this yeast strain likes to stop at 1,034, took a sample it had almost finished at 1,014 wasn't expecting that at all, as starting gravity was 1,062, not complaining, just very surprised how fast it fermented, was fermenting at 22c.
only been making starts since the last two brews, built up a packet over 2 days on my stir plate, and saved a third for another starter.
Anyone else used this yeast? could it be the obvious factors, healthy yeast, higher ferment temp and well aerated wort.

Cheers

No, but I’m planning a dubbel soon, so will watch this thread with interest! I’ve heard they take off quick though and I read that it’s advisable to keep temps down to around 18 c for the first couple of days then free rise.

Yes, I cooled it to 19c ish and let it do it's own thing as all I have is the natural temp of the cellar, which happened to be 20c that week.. not to worried about the temp, but will see come december if it has had an adverse effect.

Latest posts

Back