Belgian Fishermans Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, but especially @strange-steve , a while back we were discussing how my Fisherman Stout recipe had a similar grist to a Belgian style and mentioned that I should try T-58 yeast. So this is my original stout recipe, would you keep this as it is or change it in anyway? I was going to replace the brown sugar with dark candy sugar and the yeast with t-58, any other changes you would make?

10l brew.

2kg maris otter
200g special b
80g crystal
80g caramalt
60g flaked barley
60g choc malt

12g centennial at 60
200g brown sugar and protofloc at 10.

Pitched at 20c us05.

Sorry for the delay, but I reckon that'll make a rather tasty dubbel. Keep the IBUs around 20 or so and pitch the yeast fairly cool, around 18C, and let it rise up to about 20C. Edit to add: I probably wouldn't have bothered with the flaked barley personally, but it'll be fine either way thumb

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, but I reckon that'll make a rather tasty dubbel. Keep the IBUs around 20 or so and pitch the yeast fairly cool, around 18C, and let it rise up to about 20C. Edit to add: I probably wouldn't have bothered with the flaked barley personally, but it'll be fine either way thumb

Cheers mate no probs. Typo, that was meant to be roast barley... Been having a mare, 2kg short of pale malt, went to open the new bag and it was uncrushed, tried to crush a kilo with a pestle and mortar, it's hard work! So I chucked in 1.5 kgs of pils malt instead! 🤣

Cheers mate no probs. Typo, that was meant to be roast barley... Been having a mare, 2kg short of pale malt, went to open the new bag and it was uncrushed, tried to crush a kilo with a pestle and mortar, it's hard work! So I chucked in 1.5 kgs of pils malt instead! 🤣
For what it's worth I'd have probably gone with pilsner over Maris otter anyway. Are you making a dubbel or a Belgian stout. If the former possibly leave the roasted barley out?

I have flaked barley on the brain as a kilo of it turned up the other day and I'm not sure why, I ordered it so I must have been thinking of something but I have no idea what.

Latest posts

Back