Belgian?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed vK

Reaction score
Hello hive brain. Looking for some words of wisdom.

Back in the balmy summer I bought some Mangrove Jacks M47 Abbey yeast, perhaps because I read something about its tolerance to high fermentation temps?
I still have this kicking about, plus the following:
Maris Otter
Pils
Wheat
Crystals
Rye
Chocolate malt
Columbus
Fuggle
Styrian Golding
Hallertauer Mittelfrüher

Could I make anything remotely on-style or actually tasty out of this? Do I just stick to my pales and IPAs?

Yep what he said. You could make something along the lines of a Westmalle Tripel with pils malt and sugar for an OG of about 1.080, bitter to 40 IBUs and dump in a combo of hallertau and goldings near the end of the boil.

Thanks both, super quick responses!
With only 3kg of pils in perhaps I’d need to do a small batch, or top up with some maris or wheat?

Yes you could use pils malt and maris otter together, I think Westvleteren use a combination of pils and pale malt in their beers.

Thank you.
I think I’m on track now. I get a Robobrew in a week and will start with a pale ale but the Abbey yeast will be used quite soon. Just switched to Brewfather as BeerSmith kept trying to ask me to mash in with 0.8L water (at -14pH), Brewfather lists both named recipes

Latest posts

Back