Belt in Oil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am looking to change my car in the not too distant future and have been looking at a few different manufacturers and models, when searching i came across belt in oil and i will not be purchasing an engine that uses the system some reasons why below.
Many manufacturers now offer a chain replacement for unhappy customers.

Watch from 1:17 there may (will) be trouble ahead.

Last edited:
I don't see the benefits of running the belt through oil, of course it's going to degrade it. Although the man does state it's only an issue if you don't follow the correct service schedule.

I don't see the benefits of running the belt through oil, of course it's going to degrade it. Although the man does state it's only an issue if you don't follow the correct service schedule.

My thoughts exactly, they say they can run a much thinner belt which cuts down friction so you gain MPG and it produces less emissions but what happens when you have done 80,000 miles and are using a non franchise garage are you going to trust them to use the exact engine oil called for and also as the garage owner in video 2 says if no one tells them they wouldn't have a clue the second timing belt is inside the engine so wouldn't know to change it, you take your high mileage car away assuming the belt has been done then a few thousand miles later snapped belt and destroyed engine.
Its OK MR Dayco saying they'll do 120,000 miles but unlike normal belts you cannot do a quick visual check at service, i am old school give me a chain at least then if things start to wear you should get a bit of noise from the chain and be able to sort it before it snaps.

I think this development is about better efficiency in running though maintenance challenge is challenging, I guess it is the knowledge in garages is getting better? Scarey that oil options are so specific

I know someone who had one and it was due a service so they took it to "their friends mate,who knows about cars AND is cheap"
He didn't have a clue and said "the engine was ruined and needed replacing!"
It needed a service..it's ok.

I think this development is about better efficiency in running though maintenance challenge is challenging, I guess it is the knowledge in garages is getting better? Scarey that oil options are so specific
In post #3 it says -
they say they can run a much thinner belt which cuts down friction so you gain MPG and it produces less emissions

Which is all well and good as long as you trust the mechanic to change the one inside the engine as well as the one outside come changing time.

The worry is these cars will be at 100,000 mile by the time the belts need doing and its going to be a expensive job how many will simply fit the outer belt and say nothing or as has been said will not know there is a belt inside the engine.

I am sticking with a chain for as long as i can there are still plenty of manufacturers using chains and they are getting decent emission figures so its not a case of chains cannot do the job any longer and BIO is the only way forward.

I am sticking with a chain for as long as i can there are still plenty of manufacturers using chains and they are getting decent emission figures so its not a case of chains cannot do the job any longer and BIO is the only way forward.
Same with me. Sticking with the chain.

Same with me. Sticking with the chain.

The old fella i used to take my car to to get its MOT summed it up years ago, with luck a chain will get a bit noisy if its on its way out and you may save the engine a belt doesn't give you any warning.

I've had a few Peugeot's come in to the workshop over the past few months with low oil pressure warnings flagging up on the dashboard and every one of them has been a belt in oil engine. The problem on all of them was caused by the belt breaking up and the pieces of it blocking the oil pick up strainer. They were all around the 60,000 mile mark too. I said when the first one came in that they were going to be trouble and I've been proved right. It goes against everything we were taught at college back in the day that if a timing belt is contaminated with oil you need to sort the leak and replace the belt

This is the one big thing for electric cars, so much simpler from a mechanical point of view.

belt in oil is scary to me rubber and oil doesn't seem like a great combo. The oil will be hot at some point too?- ive had belts and chains. Never a belt in oil. Im running two suzuki 1.4 boosterjet engines.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/71220/does-the-suzuki-vitara-have-a-cam-belt-or-chain-
I had a belt on a 1995 hyundai accent and they were good for 5 years or equvalent milage. The 5 year service was a about 15% more expensive because of this it said to inspect the belt but I had it changed. They showed me the old belt - they said I could have left it but I wasn't going to take the risk.

lada belts on the other hand were down for replacement at 36,000 miles but the dealers replaced them at 12,000 because they'd snap before they got to 36,000.

I've always gone main dealer my mazda ( h.g. bryer) was one of the cheapest dealers in the uk for servicing , well worth going there rather than FRF in swansea.

Also J&J motors for suzuki isn't much dearer than a generic autocentre for servicing.

I've bought new for me and mrs DOJ for ages now so no risk of a previous owner cheaping out on servicing, but wow buying one of those belt in oil cars id want to see a full dealer service history done on time and not over manufacturers mileage schedule.

Has anyone had a cam belt in oil replaced?
Got a 2013 1 litre Ecoboost Focus in the family that was due to be done but the local garage had to cancel it and said it was a main dealer only job. While they'll hopefully be more experienced on the particulars of the job, it's bound to be £££

Has anyone had a cam belt in oil replaced?
Got a 2013 1 litre Ecoboost Focus in the family that was due to be done but the local garage had to cancel it and said it was a main dealer only job. While they'll hopefully be more experienced on the particulars of the job, it's bound to be £££
I nearly bought a Honda Civic Type R, 3 years old low mileage. Doing my research I found out it had a cambelt in oil, and that the cost of replacement was nearly £2k. Replacement period was 6 years (3 more years) just the time I would have changed the car, so walked away.

I found out it had a cambelt in oil, and that the cost of replacement was nearly £2k. Replacement period was 6

The belts can go up to 150,000 but the problem is if your *mechanic doesn't use exactly the right specified oil you could end up with this -

*your average service centre will use whatever 0w-30 oil they use for every car not oil designed to stop this happening.

The belts can go up to 150,000 but the problem is if your *mechanic doesn't use exactly the right specified oil you could end up with this -

*your average service centre will use whatever 0w-30 oil they use for every car not oil designed to stop this happening.

I cant remember what the mileage recommendation was, about 60,000 perhaps, but the problem with belts is that they deteriorate over time as well as mileage wear. Once had a belt go on a Fiat Marea, well under mileage and almost bang on date, very expensive.

Once had a belt go on a Fiat Marea, well under mileage and almost bang on date, very expensive.

I had a belt go once on a Cortina luckily back then the valves and pistons didn't hit each other so a new belt was fitted and away we went again since then i have always bought cars with chain drive i am not saying chains dont break but they usually become noisy before breaking giving you time to replace them, they should also last the lifetime of the engine if you change the oil and filter at the correct intervals.

In modern engines the valves and pistons do meet and its goodnight for the top of the engine and a very expensive repair, the worry is its not just the belt snapping that can cause problems i believe on some cars it also drives the water pump and if the pump bearing goes the belt comes off the pully with the same result, that is why you are often advised to change the pump at belt service interval.

Latest posts

Back