BelVino Australian Red kit

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Norse John

Reaction score
Just finished and bottled up having brewed 23 litres. Calculated to have finished ABV of 10.8%. Brewed to the instructions apart from my stabiliser mistake and the starter yeast solution.

Left a litre out for consumption today, and have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Preferably I'd have liked it at least 12%, and it is a tiny bit diluted and watery at the moment due to the quantity of water, but I'm wondering if I actually prefer it this way. I'm no wine connoisseur, but it has a dry initial taste, not tart or heavy but has a slightly sweet berry aftertaste.

I have another one of these which I'll brew to 18/19L for comparison, but I reckon this lighter 10.5-11% alternative may be a goer in future.

Rack&Ruin

Reaction score
Interestingly I find this a good %age for a wine to be consumed within 6 to 8 weeks of finishing:cool:, seems to be a little smoother. Her indoors also prefers the %age to be around 8% for an easy drinking wine....with a little back sweetening 6-8 weeks gives a nice little drink...at least the boss says so wink.... However it always improves massively after a year. BUT-hey ho - just cant wait that long so , some to age and some to consume.