Bench Capper

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Chris_S ..try a smear of vasoline on the capper where it pushes the cap on, might just be very tight and not quite pushing cap onto bottle.when I first used mine it was a bit tight.

@Chris_S ..try a smear of vasoline on the capper where it pushes the cap on, might just be very tight and not quite pushing cap onto bottle.when I first used mine it was a bit tight.

Will try that tonight 👍

Edit: Just tried and makes no difference, and I tried all possible attachments. They don’t appear to be retaining their grip around the neck of the bottle. Here is an image if the inserts

Red are labelled 26 or 29
Black are Low Neck or High Neck
C4AF8C57-2240-4E9B-AFDE-726EA440444D.jpeg

Last edited:
might just be very tight and not quite pushing cap onto bottle when I first used mine it was a bit tight.

I seem to remember someone posting they couldn't believe how much force they needed to use but they soon got used to it and didn't worry about the bottles smashing.

Youre right Chippy, once you get the hang of it its simple but first time you do think the bottle will break!
That said, mine isnt like @Chris_S ,Its just got a magnetic chrome dome that pushes the cap on.

I’ve just ventured down the crown capping bottles. I also asked a friend to save his bottles, the 660ml Stella bottles. When the kit arrived with a couple hundred caps, I tried it out on an empty one first.

Could not get it to seal, tried all combination of supplied jaw bits, but no joy. Are these bottles non standard? Or am I being obtuse
I use the same bottles, I think im getting a good seal with a hand capper, twin lever style. But, the beer is not properly carbonated, I think it's a priming sugar problem, but they could be leaking. Better knock up a test rig!

I use the same bottles, I think im getting a good seal with a hand capper, twin lever style. But, the beer is not properly carbonated, I think it's a priming sugar problem, but they could be leaking. Better knock up a test rig!
What size caps are you using?

I had a bottle shatter when I used a hand capper so switched to a bench capper and have never regretted it. Its not the one in the original post, but very similar in all respects. The bolt on the leaver needs tightening every now and then but the only downside is that there are some bottles which will not work with the standard crown cap. Whenever I'm given some empty bottles of a different shape I try and cap them to see if it works. I'd rather waste a crown cap than a new pint!

@Chris_S ,
I've never used one of them, but would recommend a bench capper , great for any kind of bottle.

@Chris_S ,
I've never used one of them, but would recommend a bench capper , great for any kind of bottle.

Yeah, realised now that the force applied by the levers is also dependant on the grip of the jaws on the neck of the bottle, which my twin lever capper can not get to grips with, literally

When I get some different bottles , I’ll try again, failing that, a bench capper is the next purchase

You might find it a bit tricky at first but when the cap goes on properly you get a very satisfying movement on the handle as you push downathumb..

Yeah, realised now that the force applied by the levers is also dependant on the grip of the jaws on the neck of the bottle, which my twin lever capper can not get to grips with, literally

When I get some different bottles , I’ll try again, failing that, a bench capper is the next purchase
I had problems with some bottles the had contained a Shepherd Neame brew for Sainsburys. A Cornish ale I think but anyway, I could not get a standard cap to close properly on it.

Well it arrived today and I've practiced on each of the different shaped 500ml bottles I've got and it crimped each one easily and effortlessly (even a Hobgoblin bottle!) 😁 athumb..
I filled each one with water to make sure they are being sealed properly afterwards. No water leaks anywhere after tipping them over so all good.

Easy to use, I had to put a smear of vaseline on mine until it was broken in:oops:
Yeah I see what you mean Dave, it picks the bottle up once you've crimped it :laugh8:athumb..
A small wiggle and it soon pulls free.

Thanks for the recommendations all athumb..
This was taken half way through practicing..

20200718_194459.jpg

Back