Berocca and Other Effervescent Drinks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23602

Landlord.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever thought of using Berocca or any cheaper brand of Effervescent tablets to carbonate their beer? Not only would it carbonate the beer, might also give a fruit flavor and a **** load of vitamins.

There's about 1000 times your RDA of vitamin C in a Berocca. By all means use them to carbonate your drink, but you will 100% sh1t yourself after about three bottles.
I was just thinking of an alternative to a light flavor plus getting some vitamins in :laugh8:. Even if it is a total overdose.

From memory, I’m sure I read somewhere that alcohol “flushes” if that’s the correct word most vitamins out of our blood stream. So it would seem a bit pointless from the 5 a day aspect.
Having tried similar tablets in a glass of water I would also guess the carbonation given off by the tablet wouldn’t last long enough to see your pint off :cheers3:

I'm not convinced that that's how it works mate :laugh8:

Why not? It contains glucose and hydrogen carbonate. Surely it's not much different to carbon drops?

I'm now confused as to what is being suggested here :D

You add carbonation drops to bottles to cause secondary fermentation / priming during the conditioning phase. They're essentially just sugar at the end of the day. Are you saying you want to add the vitamin tablets at this phase?

Or as I initially thought because they fizz when you put them in water you would not prime the beer, serve it flat and then dump in a vitamin tablet to "carbonate" / flavour it immediately before drinking?

I take these to get the 1000% RDA dose (or whatever it is) of Vitamin C if I feel like I have a cold coming, seems to help with that, but they fizz for about a minute and then you're left with a fairly flat orange drink that also doesn't taste very nice. So carbonation effect - minimal, flavouring - could ruin a decent beer.

Either way doesn't strike me as the greatest idea ever :D

I was just wondering if they would work for priming that's all. Whilst adding a questionable flavor and the ability for your **** to glow in the dark.

Fine. The next IPA I do, I'll put 2 bottles a side and drop 1 in each and send you one of them... See how it goes.

In the interests of science it should probably be two ;) one with and one without.

Just why?
I think the simple answer is... because :P

There's every chance it'll taste horrific, there's also a chance it will be magnificent

In the interests of science it should probably be two ;) one with and one without.

I think the simple answer is... because :p

There's every chance it'll taste horrific, there's also a chance it will be magnificent

Fine. I'll send you two! But only because your wife liked my beer.

And yeah, it likely will be horrific, but we don't know until we try.

Latest posts

Back