Berries in turbo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time I made Raspberry Turbo Cider I used fresh whole fruit and just bunged them in the fv. Post fermentation they were still whole, but had turned close to white in colour, and the cider was pinkish and tasted of the fruit.

In my second attempt I froze, defrosted, froze and defrosted for a second time and then put the fruit in a muslin bag and squeezed out the juice. Ended up with a redder cider with more fruit flavour.

My third attempt and preferred method is to freeze the fruit and then defrost and then blitz them in a food processor and then ferment the liquid / pulp in the cider.

For speed of Raspberry additional flavour you could add the following Polish syrup:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/263204408
Other flavours are available. Sometimes it’s on offer for £1 a bottle.

However, do note that it contains 84g of sugar in 100ml of syrup, so a bottle has 336g of sugar, an entire bottle in a demijohn will add over 3% abv to your end cider, making it around 9% when primed.

Alternatively you could syringe 6ml of the syrup into each 500ml bottle and fill with turbo cider, this will prime you cider at a rate of 10g/l. It gives you a light red / pinkish cider with a slight raspberry flavour

First time I made Raspberry Turbo Cider I used fresh whole fruit and just bunged them in the fv. Post fermentation they were still whole, but had turned close to white in colour, and the cider was pinkish and tasted of the fruit.

In my second attempt I froze, defrosted, froze and defrosted for a second time and then put the fruit in a muslin bag and squeezed out the juice. Ended up with a redder cider with more fruit flavour.

My third attempt and preferred method is to freeze the fruit and then defrost and then blitz them in a food processor and then ferment the liquid / pulp in the cider.

For speed of Raspberry additional flavour you could add the following Polish syrup:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/263204408
Other flavours are available. Sometimes it’s on offer for £1 a bottle.

However, do note that it contains 84g of sugar in 100ml of syrup, so a bottle has 336g of sugar, an entire bottle in a demijohn will add over 3% abv to your end cider, making it around 9% when primed.

Alternatively you could syringe 6ml of the syrup into each 500ml bottle and fill with turbo cider, this will prime you cider at a rate of 10g/l. It gives you a light red / pinkish cider with a slight raspberry flavour
Thanks for the detail, I will incorporate some of this for sure.

I would be wary of food processors - you can extract bitterness from the seeds if you go ham on it. Best to use it lightly or not at all. A light squeeze with a potato masher is better. In my experience, if you freeze the fruit and ferment on the pulp it's not necessary to break down the fruit yourself, as you will find by the end of fermentation, the fruit gets broken up by the yeast and pectolase.

Best to try different methods and see what works best for you. The above is what I've found works best for me.

I estimated that based on ales which usually finish about 1010 as that's my experience with AG brewing, so as it finished at. 998 it sounds like your research and estimations are correct, but I would have thought that whole fruit wouldn't provide the whole sugars available.
I don't know if in future, crushing the frozen fruit partially would help with extraction of sugars/flavours?
I usually use ale yeast for all-grain beer, US05 etc and find it typically finishes around 1.010, for my cider I used Mangrove Jacks Cider Yeast which is meant to finish at 1.000 which mine did, after just 7 days.

How dry did it finish, did you need to back sweeten?
I was expecting it to be dry at 1.000 and it really was very dry !! far too dry for me, I prefer a medium dry. I poured 250ml into a glass and added 1/2 tea spoon of splenda, it tasted about right so I added the rest at a quantity of 2 teaspoons per litre, then added priming sugar, stirred and bottled as I don't have any spare kegs. Looking forward to trying it when carbed up in a week or so.

Can anyo help me with a sugar question that is challenging my brain?

I have started another turbo Berry cider, tweaked this one a bit and took the precaution to read the packets of fruit to try and work out how much sugar I am adding, but getting confused as they state 17% per 100g portion or 90g per 80g portion which I can't quite understand, as there seems to be more sugar than there is fruit?

Can anyo help me with a sugar question that is challenging my brain?

I have started another turbo Berry cider, tweaked this one a bit and took the precaution to read the packets of fruit to try and work out how much sugar I am adding, but getting confused as they state 17% per 100g portion or 90g per 80g portion which I can't quite understand, as there seems to be more sugar than there is fruit?

Has anyone seen that before or is is mislabeled, I don't get how there can be more sugar than the weight of the fruit?

Can you post a picture of the label?

Or is it a product that is viewable on the internet.

The 17% may refer to your daily recommended in take.

Is the fruit in syrup, which may explain why there is more sugar than fruit.

If I rummage through the bin I may be able to find the packaging, they were bags of frozen berries, didn't appear to be in syrup.

Pic of the label

Attachments

• IMG_20210818_142559.jpg
    IMG_20210818_142559.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 32
The label says there is 5.8g of sugar in 100g of the product. So for example in a 500g bag of this product your typical sugar addition to your brew would be 5 x 5.8g = 29g. The second part of the top table says that in an 80g portion of this product there is 4.6g of sugar.

The second table says that in a 80g portion of the product there is 5% of your daily recommended intake of sugar. The second column states that your daily recommended intake of sugar is 90g per day.

The label says there is 5.8g of sugar in 100g of the product. So for example in a 500g bag of this product your typical sugar addition to your brew would be 5 x 5.8g = 29g. The second part of the top table says that in an 80g portion of this product there is 4.6g of sugar.

The second table says that in a 80g portion of the product there is 5% of your daily recommended intake of sugar. The second column states that your daily recommended intake of sugar is 90g per day.
Thank you, learn something new every day, never looked at one of these labels before.
I recon I have added 502g of sugar/fruit and read somewhere that would add about 0.008 onto the OG, so that gives me an idea that this should finish about a 7% and from a sip after the hydrometer reading its going to be lovely.

Latest posts

Back