Bert Grant's Perfect Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just opened an ancient book of beer pictures and vague descriptions by that ticker of tickers Michael Jackson. It's from 1998 and contains details of 500 beers. Perfect for "tiny room" reading and I've got as far as B. Bert Grant's Perfect Porter caught my eye as being a bit of a claim and so I googled it. Hasn't been made for yonks (as many of the beers in this book), but everyone who's says it's amazing stuff and does anybody have a recipe.
Well that's my question; has anybody come across this beer and does anybody know of a reliable recipe?
Thanks in advance to anybody who can point me in the right direction.

Bert Grant was a legendary figure in North American brewing - he moved to Yakima Valley in the1980s and set up a brewpub where he had the freedom to do all the things that he wasn't allowed to do working for Carling - which included recreating some of his favourite beers in the 1940s and before that were clinging on in Canada as memories of the great British export trade in the 19th century, things like Dominion White Label that was effectively a Scottish pale ale from before pasteurisation reduced the amount of hops. He effectively reintroduced to Yakima (and hence the the rest of the West Coast) all the styles that had been killed off by Prohibition - IPA, imperial stouts etc etc. So I suspect some of the affection for his beer is actually affection for him.

There's original specs here :
"You've heard of porters that taste like coffee, toffee or malt; mine will remind you of chocolate. "
Original Gravity (Degrees Plato)11.8° (1.047)
Final Gravity (Degrees Plato)3.5° (1.014)
Alcohol (% by Vol.)4.0%
Bitterness Units (IBU)25
Color Units90.0
Malts UsedPale, Caramel, Chocolate, Black & Peat-smoked (imported from Scotland)
Hops UsedWillamette
Adjuncts UsedNone

That's 70% apparent attenuation, you'd imagine he'd use a Scottish yeast if he could. Here's a recipe from Clone Brews by T & M Szamatulske which obviously ignores some of the above :
19 litres
Grain bill:
3.3kg British 2-row pale malt
340g British chocolate malt
283g 40L american crystal malt
57g peated malt.
Mash at 68C for 90min
90 minute boil.
Hop additions: 90 mins - 26g Northern Brewer (7.9AA)

OG: 1.046-1.047
FG: 1.014-1.015
ABV: 4.1%
IBU: 30

Go easy on the peat-smoked, some of the recipes you see with 16% will just taste of burnt barbecue, you need no more than a couple of ounces at the very most.

For comparison, here's the current Fuller's Porter recipe.

That's brilliant Northern Brewer. Thanks very much. The only thing I haven't got is peat smoked malt so I'll use a bit of rauchmalz while I'm sourcing the other. acheers.

I see I started this thread a couple of years ago. Well, last Thursday I got round to brewing up a batch. I found a recipe on another forum by a contributor who allegedly had some insider info from this now defunct brewery. I couldn't square the colour with 90 ebc so I added a bit more black malt than recommended, but looking at the wort, even 2% might be a tad high, in fact. I used Belgian pale as it's a bit darker and richer than English, and it needed using up. God knows what Grant would have used- some 6-row horror, I imagine. I also got a cpy of his book with it's ridiculously pretentious and self-congratulatory title just to try to get into the guy's head a bit.
Here's the recipe for 20 Litres:
OG/FG/ABV 1048/1014/4%
½ tsp Calcium Chloride
77% Belgian Pale malt (7-10 ebc) 3.08 Kg
10% Crystal Malt (150 ebc) 400g
10% Chocolate Malt (900 ebc) 400g I was a bit short and made up the rest with some Carafa Spec #2 (1200 ebc)
2% Patent Black Malt (1300 ebc) 80g
1% Peat-Smoked (pot still) Malt (4 ebc) 40g
Mash at 68C 90 mins
FWH Willamette leaf to 25 IBUs 43.8g @ 5.7% a.a.
last 15 mins Willamette leaf 15g and Protofloc
60+15 minute boil
Pitch with McEwan's Yeast Wyeast 1728 (claims 69-73% attenuation)
2 days before bottling add 40g U.S. medium toast oak chips (although I might go for light toast if it arrives on time)

This is one beer that, even though I've never tasted it, I'll know whether or not I've hit it right because if I have, it'll be perfect!

Last edited:
I see I started this thread a couple of years ago. Well, last Thursday I got round to brewing up a batch. I found a recipe on another forum by a contributor who allegedly had some insider info from this now defunct brewery. I couldn't square the colour with 90 ebc so I added a bit more black malt than recommended, but looking at the wort, even 2% might be a tad high, in fact. I used Belgian pale as it's a bit darker and richer than English, and it needed using up. God knows what Grant would have used- some 6-row horror, I imagine. I also got a cpy of his book with it's ridiculously pretentious and self-congratulatory title just to try to get into the guy's head a bit.
Here's the recipe for 20 Litres:
½ tsp Calcium Chloride
77% Belgian Pale malt 3.08 Kg
10% Crystal Malt (150 ebc) 400g
10% Chocolate Malt (900 ebc) 400g I was a bit short and made up the rest with some Carafa Special #2
No smoked malt? I’m reading about him and the recipe in Clone Brew and it calls for peated malt.

Last edited:
No smoked malt? I’m reading about him and the recipe in Clone Brew and it calls for pleated malt.
Pleated malt? Is this the malt he conditions in the pleats of his kilt?

I've got Clone Brew, but I'm not too confident in those two guys. Have they got beards?

Ah, I see. I hadn't finished the post, but I posted it as I had to answer the phone. I've edited it now.

Edit:
Just looked it up. It's not too crazy on the smoked-malt and they claw back the attenuation of their chosen yeast by adding dextrin. Might even work! I see it's only Tess who sports a chin-piece. :laugh8:
They use Northern Brewer, too, even though Willamette is specified. I understand Grant was so "thrifty" that he swept any old stuff out of hop stores and probably chucked that in too.

Last edited:
Pleated malt? Is this the malt he conditions in the pleats of his kilt?

I've got Clone Brew, but I'm not too confident in those two guys. Have they got beards?

Ah, I see. I hadn't finished the post, but I posted it as I had to answer the phone. I've edited it now.
Corrective text it’ll start a war one day 😂😂

24C6C272-5CE8-478A-BF78-B686BBCD49C9.jpeg

i might be wrong but Tess looks female to me. 😂
PS she probably shaved her beard off 😂😂😂

Latest posts

Back