Best app to use with iSpindel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the best app for iSpindel?

• Ubidots

• CraftBeerPi

• TControl

• FHEM

• TCP

• iSpindel.de

• InfluxDB

• Promethius

• MQTT

• ThingSpeak

• Blynk

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm using brewspy now for the first time. Certainly seems much more user friendly than Ubidots.

I'm still using Brewspy, on a Win10 PC, via Bluestacks.

Because of the Bluestacks emulator, it runs rather slow, but just about usable. Something I have not found how to do yet - On the Home screen it shows a line of data, various green buttons, with below it a graph of Gravity and Temperature.

One of the green buttons is 'Retreive Data', clicking that, then clicking to show the Data page, that data is up to date, but not the single line of Data and Graph on the Home screen. How do I refresh the Home page with current data?

The only way I have found is to close Brewspy and reopen it. There has to be a better way - anyone?

Copied below is a typical start graph of a batch of wine, though beer reacts quite similarly over the first two days from the yeast going in, to the fermentation beginning. This use the iSpindel with Brewspy via Bluestacks on my Win10 laptop.

The graph begins from when the iSpindel is dropped in the FV, so it takes a while for the sensed temperature to settle to the true value. The FV is on a temperature controlled panel, so the red line rises and falls as the thermostat switches on and off, to maintain the temperature.

Note the blue line and gravity increases slightly over the first 24 hours, until the fermentation properly begins at 1d 8h.

Note the sudden rise in the red line (hump), just before 1d 8h when the wine begins to generate internal heat as the fermentation gets under way and the blue SG line begins to fall.

The blue line is the gravity, the red line the temperature. None of this would be obvious, using traditional methods of monitoring a brewing session.

Brew capture.PNG

Hi chaps,
I received my ispindel in the week, again purchased from gingerneil off eBay..... and have just configured and connected it to brewspy, just running a little leak test and getting an hour or so's readings from 20°c water to familiarise myself with everything.
I have a question, I'm not clued up on 'tilt' , have no idea what or how it should be used, so before I read up on it could anyone give a brief description of its function and how it's used.
Here's a shot of my current readings, Screenshot_20220326-161703.png
as you can see the tilt is at 21.03°, is this correct?..... any insight into the tilt world before I immerse myself is greatly appreciated. :hat:

Hi chaps,
I received my ispindel in the week, again purchased from gingerneil off eBay..... and have just configured and connected it to brewspy, just running a little leak test and getting an hour or so's readings from 20°c water to familiarise myself with everything.
I have a question, I'm not clued up on 'tilt' , have no idea what or how it should be used, so before I read up on it could anyone give a brief description of its function and how it's used.
Here's a shot of my current readings, View attachment 65465
as you can see the tilt is at 21.03°, is this correct?..... any insight into the tilt world before I immerse myself is greatly appreciated. :hat:
Tilt is the angle the iSpindel is at - 0 would be vertical. The device actually works by measuring that angle and the calibration equation tells the device how to convert that value into the equivalent gravity that produces that angle. you will notice that the iSpindel gets closer to horizontal when the density of the wort is higher. Mine has an angle of 25.1 in 20c tap water, and 55.73 in wort with a gravity of 1.053 for example.

Once the device is calibrated, the angle value is of no particular interest any more. Calibration is necessary as each device varies in the weight distribution of parts in the tube, so will be at a different angle for a given gravity.

Tilt is the angle the iSpindel is at - 0 would be vertical. The device actually works by measuring that angle and the calibration equation tells the device how to convert that value into the equivalent gravity that produces that angle. you will notice that the iSpindel gets closer to horizontal when the density of the wort is higher. Mine has an angle of 25.1 in 20c tap water, and 55.73 in wort with a gravity of 1.053 for example.

Once the device is calibrated, the angle value is of no particular interest any more. Calibration is necessary as each device varies in the weight distribution of parts in the tube, so will be at a different angle for a given gravity.
Thanks Tom, great explanation.

Latest posts

Back