Best app to use with iSpindel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the best app for iSpindel?

• Ubidots

• CraftBeerPi

• TControl

• FHEM

• TCP

• iSpindel.de

• InfluxDB

• Promethius

• MQTT

• ThingSpeak

• Blynk

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
former..latter?????

What is former latter?
· Basics. The terms former and latter are words used to distinguish between two things. Former directs us to the first of these two things, and latter directs us to the second (or last) of them.

For my latest batch - a stout - I tried using BrewSpy and it's recorded readings very regularly with far less messing around - I only want temperature, gravity and battery level anyway and the data is all there.

Anyone know if there is a way to export the data? It's not a be all and end all as it does save it but would be a nice feature if you can or if they plan to do it in the future.

It's great not having to open up the bucket after seeing the gravity is still moving.

Can't comment on BrewSpy but I have been dabbling as of late.

Pi
InfluxDB
Grafana

Plays well with spindel.

Config spindel to write direct to InfluxDB (it's there on the latest firmware) and create any pretty pictures you want with Grafana. Added bonus you can automate loadsa stuff in the future by adding Node Red to the Pi.

I am now testing Brewspy in an actual brew. There is rather a lot to it, much more than I expected - yet little in the way of instructions of how to use it, but I seem to have it working. One thing is puzzling me about the graphs - they seem to update randomly with no obvious way to get it to update. I am seeing the latest data in the list below the graph, it shows me when the most recent data was received, but how do I force the graph to update itself?

Is the graph update a matter of waiting until the Brewspy server gets around to updating my graphs?

i couldn't get my ispindel to talk to my local influxDB install for some reason. may go back to it. shame as i had influxDB going with grafana no problem.

What's the specific problem? And how have you configured the spindel?
used the influxDB option in the config. tried using the raw IP and also using it through a domain (with the correct port forwarded to the Pi). tried no credentials for the database and tried using credentials. grafana picks up the example data i created in the influxDB but nothing comes through from the ispindel.

It'll be something simple. It was for me.
As I have had the same issue when setting up I named my database on influxDB OfficeTemps but tried to configure the spindel with OfficeTemp just missed the 's' off.

As for credentials, I presume you used the CLI to create the database on influx? Did you then check the permissions of any users you made? Perhaps create another user - test with an easy password and set perms to everything.

IIRC the port is 8086? Again triple check that too :laugh8:

I had to rebuild the image and install all the component software numerous times before I got the hang of learning from my mistakes.

It'll be something simple. It was for me.
As I have had the same issue when setting up I named my database on influxDB OfficeTemps but tried to configure the spindel with OfficeTemp just missed the 's' off.

As for credentials, I presume you used the CLI to create the database on influx? Did you then check the permissions of any users you made? Perhaps create another user - test with an easy password and set perms to everything.

IIRC the port is 8086? Again triple check that too :laugh8:

I had to rebuild the image and install all the component software numerous times before I got the hang of learning from my mistakes.
yeah i created the database via CLI and granted the user all permissions.
my database is named bob (corny i know) so i know it isn't that.
8086 is right.
i'll probably start from scratch on it before i do my next 21L brew. will update if succesful.
thanks for your input.

I am now testing Brewspy in an actual brew. There is rather a lot to it, much more than I expected - yet little in the way of instructions of how to use it, but I seem to have it working. One thing is puzzling me about the graphs - they seem to update randomly with no obvious way to get it to update. I am seeing the latest data in the list below the graph, it shows me when the most recent data was received, but how do I force the graph to update itself?

Is the graph update a matter of waiting until the Brewspy server gets around to updating my graphs?
I've got an ispindel on the way, and have installed brewspy on my phone in readiness. Watching with interest 😉

i must say that i'm rather liking brewspy (not so much the server outage yesterday but it wasn't for long).
nice widgets and plenty of detail. great how it shows current ABV mid-ferment.

i must say that i'm rather liking brewspy (not so much the server outage yesterday but it wasn't for long).
nice widgets and plenty of detail. great how it shows current ABV mid-ferment.
Ubidots sounds way over my head from what I've been reading so hoping the brewspy does the job. 😊

Ubidots sounds way over my head from what I've been reading so hoping the brewspy does the job. 😊
i enjoyed using ubidots but it certainly took more setting up and i did run into the daily limits as others have mentioned. brewspy worked pretty much out of the box. hope you like it.

He is not just an eBay seller - he's a forum member. Your item will be superbly built.
Looked at a few sellers on there and his description was very professional and I like the fact he mentioned the Samsung 18650 cells (I'm a vaper and know about 18650 cells and issues with poor cells, fakes etc)
I shall have to say hello to him as I'm new in these parts 😊

Looked at a few sellers on there and his description was very professional and I like the fact he mentioned the Samsung 18650 cells (I'm a vaper and know about 18650 cells and issues with poor cells, fakes etc)
I shall have to say hello to him as I'm new in these parts 😊
vaper here too so cell choice is always interesting. a 21700 (40T) version would be excellent (presuming your FV can take it).

Back