Best app to use with iSpindel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the best app for iSpindel?

• Ubidots

• CraftBeerPi

• TControl

• FHEM

• TCP

• iSpindel.de

• InfluxDB

• Promethius

• MQTT

• ThingSpeak

• Blynk

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Got mine calibrated today and added to the brew spy app. Works really well but I may have made a slight boo boo ! Does anyone else add a bit of pfte tape around the cap threads to make it water tight or is simply screwing the lid on tight enough ? Would hate to have to calibrate again as I haven't added the tape myself.
The threads don't make the seal, how could they? There is a spiral route though any screw thread. The seal is made between the cap and the top edge of the tube. It's the same for a crown cap or screw-top soda /beer bottle.
The top of the iSpindel is mostly above the liquid anyway so the pressure is almost zero.

Cheers, I've got a 3 ltr jug so better stock up on suger. What's minimum number of points needed to get it up and running OK.

I arranged calibration at every 0.010 SG, all the way up in SG from 1.000 to 1.080. Calculated by amount of water and carefully weighed sugar and compared at each step with an hydrometer. Water volume plus carefully weighed sugar, is much more accurate than using a difficult to read accurately hydrometer.

Each iSpindel has a different and unique calibration, so no point in asking anyone to share their calibration.

Got mine calibrated today and added to the brew spy app. Works really well but I may have made a slight boo boo ! Does anyone else add a bit of pfte tape around the cap threads to make it water tight or is simply screwing the lid on tight enough ? Would hate to have to calibrate again as I haven't added the tape myself.

Anything you add or take away from the iSpindel after you have calibrated it, will wreck your calibration. If the rim of the PET is smooth and the cap in good condition, there should be no need for anything more to seal it. The seal is along the top edge of the PET. I have done 5x brews so far, with no leak issues. I simply make sure the cap is reasonably tight, without over doing the tightness. When I finish a brew, I take it out of the FV, give it a good rinse and dry, before opening it for a recharge.

The PET is manufactured for commercial drinks manufactures. They buy them in, fit them in there own mould heat them up and inflate them for their unique drinks bottle shape. They then fill them with the drink, often the drinks are under quite a lot of pressure.

Our use of the PET, means the cap can sometimes be damaged or split due to over-tightening - so its worth checking empty drinks bottles, before disposing of them - for a matching cap to keep to hand as a spare.

Anything you add or take away from the iSpindel after you have calibrated it, will wreck your calibration. If the rim of the PET is smooth and the cap in good condition, there should be no need for anything more to seal it. The seal is along the top edge of the PET. I have done 5x brews so far, with no leak issues. I simply make sure the cap is reasonably tight, without over doing the tightness. When I finish a brew, I take it out of the FV, give it a good rinse and dry, before opening it for a recharge.

The PET is manufactured for commercial drinks manufactures. They buy them in, fit them in there own mould heat them up and inflate them for their unique drinks bottle shape. They then fill them with the drink, often the drinks are under quite a lot of pressure.

Our use of the PET, means the cap can sometimes be damaged or split due to over-tightening - so its worth checking empty drinks bottles, before disposing of them - for a matching cap to keep to hand as a spare.
Thanks for the advice. My first use after calibration and its working well. I know its not important but nice to be able to see the progress of a brew from anywhere. I also have my inkbird wifi setup with echo dot so that I can ask alexa current fermentation temperature :laugh8:

I am using brewspy app and think it is very good. You can see the graphs of temperature and gravity and it gives other nice stats. All of these can be saved or exported to various apps. You can also set up notifications for various events such as alerting you when fermentation has stayed the same for a configurable amount of time.

Thanks for the advice. My first use after calibration and its working well. I know its not important but nice to be able to see the progress of a brew from anywhere. I also have my inkbird wifi setup with echo dot so that I can ask alexa current fermentation temperature :laugh8:

I am using brewspy app and think it is very good. You can see the graphs of temperature and gravity and it gives other nice stats. All of these can be saved or exported to various apps. You can also set up notifications for various events such as alerting you when fermentation has stayed the same for a configurable amount of time.
got my wifi inkbird running with it too. i hadn't even considered hooking it up to my echo dot!

I am presently testing Brewspy out, on my Win10 64bit laptop, using an Android emulator called Bluestacks.

Bluestacks brings my laptop almost to its knees, but Brewspy does seem to be working, getting data, and showing it on screen. Looks quite good, more informative than Ubidots, I just wish they would prt it to ios for the iphone, or directly usuable for Win10.

I can't comment on ubidots but liked brewspy as it was easy to setup so paid for the pro version (£3.49 from Google play store). This removes the ads and also allows for customized notifications based on various events like attenuation over certain %, temperature over/under certain point, gravity unchanged for custom time period, etc.

got my wifi inkbird running with it too. i hadn't even considered hooking it up to my echo dot!

Do it, you know you want to 😉

As well as telling you current temperature you can tell Alexa to set the current target temperature. In use this after fermentation has completed to turn off any chance of heating coming on as a form of cold crashing for a few days before bottling. I just get Alexa to set target temperature of 5°C. How did I ever manage without this technology 🤣🤣

You can also schedule this via calendar events but haven't had a look at that yet.

Do it, you know you want to 😉

As well as telling you current temperature you can tell Alexa to set the current target temperature. In use this after fermentation has completed to turn off any chance of heating coming on as a form of cold crashing for a few days before bottling. I just get Alexa to set target temperature of 5°C. How did I ever manage without this technology 🤣🤣

You can also schedule this via calendar events but haven't had a look at that yet.
alexa wasn't keen on finding an 'other' thermostat (in other words she didn't). shall have another tinker at some point. my ispindel is reporting on a new 19L brew i started yesterday

I can't comment on ubidots but liked brewspy as it was easy to setup so paid for the pro version (£3.49 from Google play store). This removes the ads and also allows for customized notifications based on various events like attenuation over certain %, temperature over/under certain point, gravity unchanged for custom time period, etc.

I have a minor issue in Brewspy and advised the author...

Since the UK switched from BST to to GMT, Brewspy has continued to log in BST - or at least an hour ahead of true GMT. Anyone else noticed?

Since the UK switched from BST to to GMT, Brewspy has continued to log in BST - or at least an hour ahead of true GMT. Anyone else noticed?

No, I just checked mine and the time is correct. Can't see any settings where you can update the date/time so assume it's getting it from your device.

Stupid question, but is your device that you are accessing brewspy showing correct time ?

mine also made the switch fine and reverted back to GMT. my body took a lot longer to adjust however. wish BST would be done away with.

Got the app on phone, time showing correctly, also running through bluestacks on PC and time is out by an hour 🤔, although Windows time is correct.

No, I just checked mine and the time is correct. Can't see any settings where you can update the date/time so assume it's getting it from your device.

Stupid question, but is your device that you are accessing brewspy showing correct time ?

I am using two devices to access Brew-spy, a Win10 laptop, running Bluestacks Android emulator and a rooted Nook with Android installed on it. Both show the correct time and date, but both show Brew-spy data in BST time.

Latest posts

Back