Best base hop for Irish dry stout?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have re-used Citra dry hops to bitter a stout last winter and it came out nice. Perhaps it was the harshness of Citra as a bittering hop that helped there, I don't know. There was a bit of background Citra as well that made it interesting. Next time I do a Stout I will be using Jester because it's what I already have in my supplies, and I've had commercial examples with Jester that have been palatable.
Citra in a stout? Could be good, could be awful. Jester is an amazing hop and I use it in a bitter, but I think it might lend itself very well to a stout. I've got some too, so I might try it. Keep us informed.
As for your dry stout tasting thin and astringent- give us a recipe to have a look at.

Citra in a stout? Could be good, could be awful. Jester is an amazing hop and I use it in a bitter, but I think it might lend itself very well to a stout. I've got some too, so I might try it. Keep us informed.
As for your dry stout tasting thin and astringent- give us a recipe to have a look at.
My last one was 5% oats, 15% roasted, 80% pale malt. I think it was possibly just too much roasted. Next time I think up the oats and reduce the roasted to 10% each

Latest posts

Back