Best beer glass?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suffolkbeer

Regular.
Reaction score
Anyone able to recommend me which beer glasses to buy?

Currently I use straight sided pub type glasses and find they don’t really promote head retention? Would
A tulip shaped glass be better??

These aren’t bad

F1433247-A309-49CA-9A4F-07454FA70370.jpg

82A652C4-555B-424B-9B83-B64F3C5557D4.jpg

I have the ones specially designed with an engraved swirl in the bottom inside made by arcoroc supposedly to promote head retention,do they work? Do they heck as like and rarely get used,I prefer a stemmed half pint glass as their ain't much time to lose the beers head between refilling and doesn't transfer body heat off your hands to the beer

There are several manufacturers and commercial suppliers that sell directly through Amazon. I've ordered glasses several times and have had no problems with breakages.
The "best" glass will ultimately come down to a choice based on personal taste and practicality - If I'm poring cider that doesn't tend to foam up, I'll pour directly into a pint glass but if I'm decanting to a jug because the beer's a bit lively, I'll go with a stem glass like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DMDB4SI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the dimpled handled 1 pint glasses personally. No worries about the glass slipping if your fingers are wet, and no heat transfer.

Different style glasses are designed to promote different styles of drink.

From a wine background, a champagne flute is designed to give more intense aromas on the nose and promote bubbles (the scratch in the base of the glass is again to promote bubbles) . This is now the trend as opposed to the coupes that used to be in fashion.

Red wine in a huge bowl of a glass allows for better swirling to release aromas where as you would have a white wine in something smaller.

pretty sure the affect is going to be minimal (put a bad beer into a glass designed to improve its flavour/aroma is only going to have a small effect) however if, for example, you had a really hoppy IPA and wanted to appreciate the aromas more, a certain style of glass could help.

Also with head retention, always worth checking the glass is clean with no residue from dishwasher cleaners etc.

I saw the thread title and thought - full one :lol: Seriously I like the straights or similar to my avatar picture. Just as long as there is beer in it. Oh, never pewter pots - they are display only for me. :thumb:

I prefer standard pint glasses, or better yet one with a handle on it. I have arthritis in my hands, and minimal cerebal palsy that gives me a tremor, all these fancy glasses just make it harder to get the beer to my mouth without it going everywhere. lol

One pub I once drank in regularly, the landlord actually fetched one of his old glass tankards out of storage for me, and kept it for when I visited, after seeing the trouble I had even with standard pint glasses. Sadly that pub got sold off by Marstons and is now a ruddy nursery. :-( I'd love to see these make a welcome return though! New isn't always better for everybody..

What's wrong with a good old-fashioned nonic pint glass, I ask you?
Nothing, if you put the right beer into it.

I'm not overly convinced about the shape, flavour relationships. I think it's more a trick of visual presentation. Food doesn't taste different off a bad plate, but bad crockery can lessen the dining experience. A Belgian Trappiste beer is best out of the correctly branded chalice, it just looks right. However, I suspect the chalice is chosen for its religious iconography rather than enhancing any particular characteristic of the beer. Holy beer from the holy grail.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I personally like a tankard in either pint or half pint unless it really is a pale lager (which is not very often at all) or a weiss style when I might go for a straighter glass. Recently I've been using a narrower more upright tankard for tasting but to honest I don't think I've any chance of discerning the difference, I just like the look of it.

P.S. the handle is round the other side on the photo.

IMG_20171011_210317.jpg

If you see a glass with bubbles clinging to the side the glass is dirty/greasy and this will help kill the head on the beer. The remedy is to wash the glass in clean soapy water after use, rinse in clean water, and use your own clean glasses cloth to dry it, not something you have dried the dog with.

Nothing, if you put the right beer into it.

I'm not overly convinced about the shape, flavour relationships. I think it's more a trick of visual presentation. Food doesn't taste different off a bad plate, but bad crockery can lessen the dining experience. A Belgian Trappiste beer is best out of the correctly branded chalice, it just looks right. However, I suspect the chalice is chosen for its religious iconography rather than enhancing any particular characteristic of the beer. Holy beer from the holy grail.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I know, I was being tongue in cheek.

I tend to drink strong Belgian stuff in half pints, and I like one of the tulip-shaped, stemmed chalices for that (but don't currently have any in the house, so am reduced to using a straight highball).

Anything else I drink, I want in a pint glass. I think pale stuff looks better in a straight and dark stuff looks better in a nonic, but nonics are more comfortable to hold. That bulge doesn't just stop them breaking, it also stops me dropping them 😁

Latest posts

Back