Best beer in the world

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beebee31

Reaction score
I was reminded of this episode by the “7.60 a pint” discussion.

while I was living in Amsterdam, one of my favourite haunts was Bar Gollem which was one of those 720-different-beers type places. Where they apologise if the glass doesn’t match the beer, you know?

I was sitting at the bar when I saw the barman cradling an empty bottle with no label, gently putting it into the waste glass bin

“what’s that, it has no label?”

“it’s the best beer in the world”

“.......what?”

“they have competitions and this one always wins”

he was exaggerating (it only wins most of the time) but it was Van Westvleteren and shortly after I was drinking it....

Well, you have to try it, right? With a build-up like that?

A bit chewy but really excellent. I think it was the 8% but it might have been a bit stronger.
What’s the ‘best’ you’ve drunk?

Westvleteren 12 (as seen in my photo) is their beer that has famously over the years been considered the best beer in the world.

Do I agree? well it is the best I have tasted (and there has been many!!) Rochefort 10 & 12 are more complex and some may consider better but I thought the Westy 12 his its alcohol content better.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it? We got our batch direct from site but there was rumours of people paying up to 20 Euros per bottle ashock1

There's no such thing as "the best beer in the world". Best in style maybe - and Westvleteren 12 is there or thereabouts for a Belgian Quad - but with styles being so different I don't think it's possible to call an overall best.

Westvleteren 12 (as seen in my photo) is their beer that has famously over the years been considered the best beer in the world.

Do I agree? well it is the best I have tasted (and there has been many!!) Rochefort 10 & 12 are more complex and some may consider better but I thought the Westy 12 his its alcohol content better.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it? We got our batch direct from site but there was rumours of people paying up to 20 Euros per bottle ashock1
Hi Richard, it’s a bit hazy to be honest but I think it was €11. It was after a few ;)

they said the bottle was about 4 or 5 Euro at the monastery gate, but their petrol/time etc to and from Amsterdam tended to push the price up (especially with the per-person limit the monks set).

I remember thinking it was pricey but not daft, if that makes sense?

There's no such thing as "the best beer in the world". Best in style maybe - and Westvleteren 12 is there or thereabouts for a Belgian Quad - but with styles being so different I don't think it's possible to call an overall best.
You’re right of course....yet they do.
It’s the same argument as “Best in Show” at Cruft’s really.... a fairly academic exercise tbh

I hate to be cliche but a westy 12 is probably the best beer in the world. In fact I might enjoy one tomorrow night.

Some almost Frankenstein beers can be absolutely sublime. I'm thinking of how my wife and I drank pints of (8.2% :oops:) Schneider Hopfenweisse (Tap 5) in Munich. That has to be up there as one of the best in the world

Some almost Frankenstein beers can be absolutely sublime. I'm thinking of how my wife and I drank pints of (8.2% :oops:) Schneider Hopfenweisse (Tap 5) in Munich. That has to be up there as one of the best in the world
I got quite a taste for Weizen beer while drinking (sorry, ‘studying’) for a year near Stuttgart but that was pretty much exclusively bottled. Probably because I was skint most of the time!

This is not the best beer in the world.... This is just a tribute 😉

Tribute-bottle-Cornwalls.jpg

This.

For instance, for me, often a beer is all about standing around the local with my mates talking bloke nonsense for a few hours; pint in hand. In that respect, a Belgian quad is possibly the worst beer in the world.

However, the best beer in the world is Bateman's XXXB, on day 2 of a cask . 😁

Latest posts

Back