Best Beer Kits you have brewed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah,im looking forward to this Wherry,as i said on another post it is stuck but the guy from Muntons is sending me some enzyme. To kickstart it.hope it arrives today or tomorrow.
Cheers

Yeah,im looking forward to this Wherry,as i said on another post it is stuck but the guy from Muntons is sending me some enzyme. To kickstart it.hope it arrives today or tomorrow.
Cheers

I read on an earlier post that this is your "first and last Wherry" which is a shame as it really is a cracking session ale and easily tweaked.

The stuck fermentation could be down to lots of factors, though Wherry does appear to suffer more than most kits.

I can honestly say that my latest Wherry, brewed short and primed with part dextrose and part honey is a thing of wonder. Put it this way, whether the football is shown in 3D this weekend or not, I'll SEE it in 3D! :drunk:

FatCol

I read on an earlier post that this is your "first and last Wherry" which is a shame as it really is a cracking session ale and easily tweaked.

The stuck fermentation could be down to lots of factors, though Wherry does appear to suffer more than most kits.

I can honestly say that my latest Wherry, brewed short and primed with part dextrose and part honey is a thing of wonder. Put it this way, whether the football is shown in 3D this weekend or not, I'll SEE it in 3D! :drunk:

FatCol

I may have been a little hasty there!
Hopefully its the first of many.

1 st peters ruby
2 milestones dark galleon
first two are my special favs above the norm
3 woodfordes wherry
my fav session beer brew a couple of times a year
4 coopers sparkling ale ( with dme )leave for 3 months
its a beer of two halves its awful before then but changes into a nice golden sparkling refreshing pint after 3 months
5 St albans Abbey ale
one from my local Chemist in st albans hertfordshire ( Derecks at the top of town) has a smal home brew aisle in side of shop this is his own one can kit.
i brewed this just useing brewing sugar and it was well nice will brew again with DME.

1 st peters ruby
2 milestones dark galleon
first two are my special favs above the norm
3 woodfordes wherry
my fav session beer brew a couple of times a year
4 coopers sparkling ale ( with dme )leave for 3 months
its a beer of two halves its awful before then but changes into a nice golden sparkling refreshing pint after 3 months
5 St albans Abbey ale
one from my local Chemist in st albans hertfordshire ( Derecks at the top of town) has a smal home brew aisle in side of shop this is his own one can kit.
i brewed this just useing brewing sugar and it was well nice will brew again with DME.
The only one of the above I have done is the St Peters Ruby Red and to be honest I didn't think it was any good until I only had half a dozen bottles left,but that probably says more about my patience than how good the kit is :drink:
Cheers

FatCol

Wherry now at 1014 ???
Is it done ? Time will tell,most work I have had to put into a kit brew though :doh:
Hopefully worth it :drunk:

Wherry now at 1014 ???
Is it done ? Time will tell,most work I have had to put into a kit brew though :doh:
Hopefully worth it :drunk:

1014 is about right for a Wherry, though I would check it is constant over 3 days.

If so, get it bottled or kegged and then forget about it for 2-3 months!! Wherry really comes into its own if it's left to mature and condition for a good few weeks.

FatCol

1014 is about right for a Wherry, though I would check it is constant over 3 days.

If so, get it bottled or kegged and then forget about it for 2-3 months!! Wherry really comes into its own if it's left to mature and condition for a good few weeks.

FatCol

Finally bottled on Thursday at 1012
Now the long wait :whistle:

FatCol
Hi Col,
i've done a few wherries & they're great. i've got a doubler in my bin brewed to 42 litres, i used 500gms light dms & 2xsafale 05 yeast dry hopped with 30gms cascade pellets after 14 days & i'm going to barrel them on wed 1st oct. i fancy priming with the brewing sugar & honey what ratio's do you do?:cheers:

Hi Col,
i've done a few wherries & they're great. i've got a doubler in my bin brewed to 42 litres, i used 500gms light dms & 2xsafale 05 yeast dry hopped with 30gms cascade pellets after 14 days & i'm going to barrel them on wed 1st oct. i fancy priming with the brewing sugar & honey what ratio's do you do?:cheers:
Immense one, Les :hat:

Though the priming sugars make almost no difference and T&L is much easier to handle on bottling day, I find. If you batch prime, then that's the way to add the honey!

Hi Col,

Hi Les,

I brewed my Wherry short to 20L and used 50g Dextrose and 75g Rowse Australian Honey to prime my keg, so for a 42 litre brew, you'd want 105g Dextrose and 155-160g honey.

The honey has added a real richness and depth of flavour that works superbly with the standard Wherry.

Good luck with it and please let me know how it works with the dry hopping as well.

FatCol

Hi Les,

I brewed my Wherry short to 20L and used 50g Dextrose and 75g Rowse Australian Honey to prime my keg, so for a 42 litre brew, you'd want 105g Dextrose and 155-160g honey.

The honey has added a real richness and depth of flavour that works superbly with the standard Wherry.

Good luck with it and please let me know how it works with the dry hopping as well.

FatCol

Thanks Col, i'll do that & let you know how it turns out, probably be Christmas time, i'm in no rush. best to let it condition.

I was going to try home wrecker on my next brew ,is it a good brew ? Any advise or tips

Coopers English Bitter
Milestone Crusader
ANY other Coopers
Evil Dog

I have the Youngs APA which is good and waiting to try the Youngs Amber Ale only bottled last week. Also have a few Betterbrew kits which are ok but only drink occasionally for a change as well as Brewmaker Scottish Heavy. Not that keen on Wherry but will try the Admiral.

I usually add some extra malt with about 1KG of beer enhancer to one can kits.

Young's APA just came straight in at number 1 for me. That throws my existing top 5 into question, as I have a feeling that the kits that contain hops for dy hopping will turn my table on it's head. Already have 1 more brewing (THBS-Di & Danny) and 2 more waiting (Festival).

Am I the only one who doesn't like Wherry? Done 4 of them, not had a decent pint of it yet.

Hi Les,

FatCol
My favorite is coopers I.P.A.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Wherry? Done 4 of them, not had a decent pint of it yet.

I'm not keen on them tried twice at the start of year never thought much to either batch after all the raves about them I was disappointed and never bought them again

Latest posts

Back