best day ever? impromptu brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymondo

Reaction score
got up on sunday to be told by swmbo "i'm going out for the day, but i expect you to get the grass cut today as the kids keep getting lost in it." and off she went. as soon as the door clicked shut, i thought brewday :thumb: so headed straight into the brewery (garage) filled and turned on the hlt, and checked what malts i had. decided to go with my golden slumber ;)
maris otter pale malt 5kg 71.4%
crystal malt 1kg 14.3%
torrified wheat 500g 7.1%
pure clear honey 500g 7.1%

fuggles hops 40g 75mins
citra hops 40g 30mins
2tsp irish moss 15mins

brew length 38l
expected og 1044
once the mash was on i rushed out and got the grass cut and was back in time to get the spargeing underway

collecting the runnings

just time to pour a quick one from the keggerator while waiting for the wort to start boiling

first hops in

perfect timing the moto gp just about to start

added the honey at flame out and left to rest for 20mins
cooling the wort

finished with 39l slightly higher og than expected at 1046

all cleaned up before swmbo got home who was in a good mood as i'd cut the grass just like she asked :rofl:
days just don't get any better than this :cheers:

a man after my own heart, well done :thumb: how much difference does the honey make?

Peroni glasses are the biz, we got some from a local pub by just asking :D

Very, very nice work that man!!!

Ninja-like efficiency, man-points scored into the bargain.

:hat: to you.

how much difference does the honey make?
it just gives a slight honey taste at the finish which i really like, but the first time made this i used 1kg of honey which made the beer much drier, using 500g still keeps the taste but doesn't overly dry the beer.
Peroni glasses are the biz, we got some from a local pub by just asking :D
thats how i got mine too :thumb: the landlord let me have 2 of the half pint ones but wouldn't let me have a pint one and there a bit to big to hide under my top :whistle:

I use 1 or 2 tubs (330g or 660g) in a 23L brew. You're right, it gives just a little aftertaste that leaves you going back for more. really lovely stuff.

looks like a cracking summer brew. you and me like the same ingredients :lol: hope it tastes good!

Back