Best drink drunk?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carlsberg special after a session 40ys ago to this day i can ONLY drink it with lime.

Now here is the odd thing:-
I cannot stand lime in ordinary lager.I gag and choke if i try to drink it.

1974 October 12th 19:30hrs.
1st pint ever of a "Real Ale" as a fresher student at Bristol University.
The beer:
Wadworth 6X
at the Ring o'Bells, Hinton Blewett. ( it was a superb beer before the yeast problem that lots of breweries had in the '76 heatwave).
The start of a long, slippery slope.
Ah, memories!

the french brasserie in cobham used to make a fantastic mojito. I don’t think it’s there any more sadly.

This thread appears to have become a little bit dormant.
Deserves reawakening.
2nd most memorable and equally best drink was a sunny lunchtime pint of Wards (Sheffield) best bitter in the drought summer of 1976 in the market-side pub, The Peacock. The in-house pork pie bought from the butchers at the bus stop half-way up the hill to our Youth Hostel was a revelation of real meat butcher made produce. Heavenly.
But why are Youth Hostels ALWAYS at the top of a hill?
When you're toting a rucksack!
In a heatwave!

My first pint of OP on a cosy afternoon spent in the company of a young lady at the Spead Eagle on Walmgate while a student in York in 1992.

It’s probably the only specific drink I remember. 😌

My first pint of "real ale" Green King Abbot served by gravity in the early 1970's can honestly say that pint changed my life.

My first pint of "real ale" Green King Abbot served by gravity in the early 1970's can honestly say that pint changed my life.
That sparks a memory of the uncommon sudden ubiquity in real ale in Courage pubs (certainly in the Bristol area) in the mid 70's.
There was strike of their mega-brewery or the distribution drivers, so the all-keg pubs had to turn to the local semi-autonomous George's (Courage) Bristol brewery for whatever supply they could provide.
Hence the heavenly appearance of George's BA poured by gravity from the small barrel on the bar (Pin or Firkin) wherever you came across a Courage pub when you needed one. A truly satisfying session lightweight bitter.
Shame when the 'normal service' kegfizz supply was resumed, but good while it lasted. Probably good for the overtime the George's workers obtained as well.
The cheapest I ever found it was 10 1/2p per pint in the Redland Teacher Training College student's bar. That seemed like the best beer that was worth drinking.

That sparks a memory of the uncommon sudden ubiquity in real ale in Courage pubs (certainly in the Bristol area) in the mid 70's.
There was strike of their mega-brewery or the distribution drivers, so the all-keg pubs had to turn to the local semi-autonomous George's (Courage) Bristol brewery for whatever supply they could provide.
Hence the heavenly appearance of George's BA poured by gravity from the small barrel on the bar (Pin or Firkin) wherever you came across a Courage pub when you needed one. A truly satisfying session lightweight bitter.
Shame when the 'normal service' kegfizz supply was resumed, but good while it lasted. Probably good for the overtime the George's workers obtained as well.
The cheapest I ever found it was 10 1/2p per pint in the Redland Teacher Training College student's bar. That seemed like the best beer that was worth drinking.
My introduction to real ales was similar as the pub I mentioned was a Watneys pub and it was during a miners strike so there were electricity cuts. As a result the pub could not use their fonts and decent beer was bought in. Within 6 months I had joined CAMRA and convinced most of my friends in seeking out pubs that sold good beer. Happy days.

My most memorable was a pint of our towns own Hartley's Best bitter back in 1978 (ish) a cracking pint as long as the pub had someone who knew how to look after their cellar there were a few pubs where you would never order a pint.

The Brewer has been empty for many years and is now being redeveloped.

1618150956953.png
1618151019633.png

1618150989114.png
1618151075789.png
1618151046117.png
. .
1618151150256.png
1618151390943.png

I wonder if anyone else remembers Joules before the brewery was taken over by M&B ? In 1967 I lashed out 10d (4.16p in new money) on a half of their bitter. The brand was revived a few years ago and though I can't be certain it seems to me that the beer is very similar to how it used to be having recently sampled it at the Royal Oak in Eccleshall. It's off my patch but I was there in 1978 when it was owned by Geoff Hurst who served me and mimicked my West Midlands accent but I was happy enough to be ribbed by him!

A couple of years back we had a holiday in Cornwall and on a blazing day walked the coast path from Taland Bay to Polperro...a pint or two of Tribute was for me when we got there! On walking back it was even hotter so stopped at the beach cafe...I drank several bottles of Tribute in the sun while Mrs Clint and my lads went in the sea.

A bottle of absinthe from the Czech Republic, shared in the army barracks room of a young lovely D-cupped sgt named Kristen....

First day back from a tour in Armagh in ‘81, we went down to the so called country club in Tidworth and quaffed loads of Trophy with Dr Hook on the jukebox. Still listen to Dr hook, anything would have tasted good after four months dry though. Happy days.

Latest posts

Back