Best drink drunk?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NPi

Regular.
Reaction score
For nothing further than my inquisitive mind, please describe to me the best drink you have drunk. I don't really care for the drink generally, but rather the specific "one". Why was this one specific drink special

That beer you ordered in a bar somewhere without knowing what it was, but can now never find again, on a stag do in Prague.

That weird local drink you had one time on holiday when you were sitting full from a family meal with your family.

That first legal pint after coming of age.

The first drink you bought with your own hard earned money.

Etc...

Theobalds Barn cider, in the 3 pigeons in Worth, Kent, Sometime around 1986
Local cider literally made on a farm on the road between Sandwich & Canterbury.
The last time I had some, me & girlfriend (wife for many years now) drove to the barn to buy some back in 1991.
Never seen or heard of it since

Bottle of Amstel in the garage after a strenuous 12 hour night shift on a summers morning. Slept like a log after.

Reactions: NPi
Straight vodka in a 'locals' bar on a cold january evening in St Petersburg, it was delicious, I'd never drunk nice vodka before or since.
I did the train trip from Moscow to Beijing, you reckon there wasn't much vodka drank on that trip. My liver was glad when I disembarked.
Lambs Navy Rum is my never to drink again drink. Girlfriend at the time couldn't wake me to go to bed, I eventually did wake up with a mouth like the bottom of a parrots cage, went to the bathroom to brush my teeth, with a disgusting toothpaste, only to find out next morning it was vaginal anti fungal cream.

I would say the most memorable beer i have ever drunk was Amstel in 1985 in an English bar called Fatties in Corfu, poured into a freezing knobbly pint glass straight from one of the many chest freezers they had under the bar it was blazing hot and the beer went down a treat, happy days.

1606658026842.png

guinness on the maiden voyage of the waverly paddle steamer after her refurbishment in 2003 sailing down the clyde.
it was in a plastic pint glass but depite that it had the nicest consistency of any pint of it i've had (i don't touch the 'cold' version). standing on deck in the p*shing rain and wind while everyone else sheltered below decks.

Irish pub in Dortmund, Germany. Pint glass: half Guiness, half champagne with Tia Maria.

Pint of Marstons Pedigree in an unremembered pub, somewhere in Staffordshire c.1981. I was used to Greenall Whitley and Ansells so Pedigree came as a revelation.

Impossible to name any single one, but oddly enough a good few of mine have been very ordinary lager. Some good ones though:

Litre stein of Sapporo Black Label at the Sapporo brewery beer hall in Sapporo (how many more times can I say Sapporo is a sentence?) over a lamb "jingsukan" barbecue with the in-laws. Go back to this place every other year when we go over to Japan, some very happy family memories here.

Any number of beers on hot summer evenings in Tokyo after work. Ice cold fizzy lager served in glasses stored in the freezer until used. Perfect drink in the circumstances.

A pint of awful lager in the Royal Oak in Braithwaite after hiking up Grisedale Pike and just before England beat Sweden in the 2018 World Cup. It was boiling hot, it'd been 30c pretty much every day for the previous couple of weeks. I was a sweaty, stinking mess and that **** lager tasted amazing.

Not the most spectacular beer I've ever had, but there was something quite special about the little glass of lambic at the end of the Cantillon brewery tour. I'll never forget it.

Theobalds Barn cider, in the 3 pigeons in Worth, Kent, Sometime around 1986
Local cider literally made on a farm on the road between Sandwich & Canterbury.
The last time I had some, me & girlfriend (wife for many years now) drove to the barn to buy some back in 1991.
Never seen or heard of it since

Seems Theobolds Barn turned into "Theobolds Cider & Apple Juice", both at Heronsgate/Herons Gate Farm, Stourmouth, Kent, CT3 1HZ but I couldn't find anything at Companies House or trademarks so I guess it must have been a while.

Certainly one of my most memorable is whatever whisky was in my dad's hipflask when a storm blew up in a rowing boat on a loch in the Highlands, aged about 8....

March 18th 2003. Just got home after a 7 year stretch. My Ma had gone to town with a.family buffet and got in a crate of Carling, remember when they were 24 cans and full pints. Didn't get a chance to get to the fridge, a nice warm one straight from the can.

March 18th 2003. Just got home after a 7 year stretch. My Ma had gone to town with a.family buffet and got in a crate of Carling, remember when they were 24 cans and full pints. Didn't get a chance to get to the fridge, a nice warm one straight from the can.
Seven years, eh? What did you do??

A pint of awful lager in the Royal Oak in Braithwaite after hiking up Grisedale Pike and just before England beat Sweden in the 2018 World Cup. It was boiling hot, it'd been 30c pretty much every day for the previous couple of weeks. I was a sweaty, stinking mess and that s**t lager tasted amazing.
I remember a pint of awful lager being good. My mate Mark and I were 16 or 17 years old and were hitch hiking from North Hertfordshire to Cornwall for a week or two's camping for our summer holidays. We got as far as Taunton on the first day. We were hot and tired when we got to the campsite. We got the tent up then retired to the pub and had a pint of cold lager I have no recollection of which lager), it was lovely.

The last 750ml. bottle of Saison D'Erpe-Mere I drank with a mate in 'Café Beermoth' in Manchester early this year, I've surely missed my monthly pub crawl!

Back