Best ipa kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Wilko

Reaction score
well I thought I’d gauge your thoughts on your favourite ipa kit. I’ve brewed festival razorback which is so far my favourite and also mangrove jack grapefruit ipa which Didn’t hit the spot with me. I quite fancy the Young’s aipa but at over 6% I find a little too strong

well I thought I’d gauge your thoughts on your favourite ipa kit. I’ve brewed festival razorback which is so far my favourite and also mangrove jack grapefruit ipa which Didn’t hit the spot with me. I quite fancy the Young’s aipa but at over 6% I find a little too strong

You could try the Youngs AAA.. I think its a bit lower mid 5%s.. last kit I ever brewed and it was a decent one.. I know its not IPA but I assume you're looking for a hop punch?

Either do that or get something like a coopers IPA brew that with DME to your desired gravity and dry hop with a hop of your choice

Or brew the AIPA but don't use all the dextrose it comes with to lower the abv to where you want it? I would say it was the best kit I did, preferred it to the Razorback

The Youngs AIPA is by far the best kit I've done. Yes, it's strong, but it's an outstanding beer. Just drink it a bit slower!

As above the Young's AIPA, you won't regret it, just take your time drinking it if worried about the ABV.

I did the Razorback too this year and that also really impressed me.

I haven't tried any of the above but the John bull IPA is a nice kit brewed with half and half (brew enhancer).
I used to pick these up for around £12 which was a bargain too.

John Bull IPA

It's a cracking kit and cheap too. I'm disappointed that Wilko seem to have sacrificed stocking John Bull for their new range.

I've had one of these John Bull kits in the cupboard for a long time. Do you pimp it with anything or you think it is a decent beer as is? I think the yeast is out of date now.

I’ve order the Young’s kit now. The big plan is to brew it and leave for Xmas. If I can resist

Great choice! I think it needs to be served slightly chilled but it’s a cracking pint either way.

Mine took 3 weeks to fully ferment out and only then did I add the hops and only left those in for 3/4 days. You get a muslin ‘sock’ with the kit as well, which is great for ensuring that no hop debris makes it into your final beer.

Good luck with it! Post back if you get any issues or have any questions.

I've had one of these John Bull kits in the cupboard for a long time. Do you pimp it with anything or you think it is a decent beer as is? I think the yeast is out of date now.

I would normally do it as is, however last time I did the IPA I dropped in a half sachet of hop powder that I had left over from a Tom Caxton Best Bitter, just because it was there. I think it improved it.

Well it’s now brewing. What a great kit, the single large pouch of extract is the way forward. It went together so well no spillages which is a first as well and after the first hour it’s already started the airlock off. I think I might get the mocha porter next

Back