Best lager BIAB kits?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mutznutz

Reaction score
As per the title...

....Ive tried a few kits, but now want to move onto all grain kits, so does anybody know any decent lager BIAB kits to try?

Would be great if anyone knows a good peroni clone kit or birra moretti clone?

Thanks in advance

Do you have a brewfridge or some other form of temperature control so you can brew at say 12-14°C ? As a true lager kit will probably use a lager yeast which needs to be fermented at lower temps than an ale.

If you can only ferment out at ale temps (18-20°C) then its worth looking at a kolsch yeast - Crossmyloof do a dry sachet kolsch yeast and liquid yeast versions are available from White Labs and Wyeast.

You could buy any lager all grain kit, or use a recipe and buy the grains/hops in the required weights and substitute the kolsch yeast to ferment (rather than using a true lager yeast).

Kolsch has given me very, very good lager like results but without the hassle and extended ferment and conditioning times of using a true lager yeast.

Do yourself a huge favour bud, find a recipe and put the ingredients together yourself, running the recipe through something like BIABacus to adjust it to your equipment. You will find you get better results, properly at a lower price, and feel better about it too.

I did a couple of BIAB brews using recipe kits to start with, and always undershot target OG as they weren't adjusted to my equipment or efficiency, and tend to be put together for multi vessel brewing. Nowadays I put it all together myself, get much higher efficiency and usually overshoot my target OG... lol

I checked my books by the way, but unfortunately no recipes for those 2 in them, sorry.

Peroni is very light coloured so its probably only pilsner malt and a noble hop. Something like;

mash at 63c
5kg pilsner malt
40g saaz first wort hops
30g saaz @15
30g saaz @ flamout
ferment at 10.5c raise to 18c after 10 days. Its ok to pitch at a lower temp but make sure to oxygenate well.
Use a good quality liquid lager yeast and make a large starter and make sure to decant the wort and only pitch the yeast
WLP800 or 830 or wyeast behemian is good.

That recipe looks good beer cat but as its his first ag brew maybe 2 packets of a good true lager strain dry maybe a good option first ? Learn ag and how the gear works before introducing too many variables ? Just my opionion tho

Thanks for the reply chaps, gonna try recipe rather than a BIAB, after reading a few things I think it’s best for me.

I got a Burco boiler to cook (so I can adjust the size of batch to match) and a brew fridge to use a good lager yeast

That recipe looks good beer cat but as its his first ag brew maybe 2 packets of a good true lager strain dry maybe a good option first ? Learn ag and how the gear works before introducing too many variables ? Just my opionion tho

Good point I don’t want to change too much so would rather stick with dry yeast to start, any recommendations? Used saflager s23 and mangrove jacks m54 recently.

Latest posts

Back