Best macro lager?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajhutch

Landlord.
Reaction score
Inspired by the fact we are spending the night in a kids hotel and the beer list was rather, ahem, limited, I thought I’d throw open the floor to see what people think is the best of the ‘mass produced, available everywhere’ type lagers. I know what I think but I won’t lead the witnesses.

Pilsner Urquell, Gambrinus or Budweiser Budvar would by my favourites, so long as they are the original Czech ones, not some 'Brewed under licence' garbage.

Pilsner Urquell, Gambrinus or Budweiser Budvar would by my favourites, so long as they are the original Czech ones, not some 'Brewed under licence' garbage.

Didn't realise we were allowed to nominate Pilsner Urquell, thought it was just the mass produced 'in every pub' type of thing! I change my vote. :cheers3::cheers3:

Before they started brewing it under license, it was Birra Moretti.

Otherwise, probably not a popular choice but I like the Mexican lagers (Modelo more than Corona but it’s not readily available) and they are generally now brewed under licence.

I also have a soft spot for Peroni and will usually drink Hop House in one of my locals.

Interesting set of answers. I don’t think Pilsner Urquell can be counted, I’d love it to be available as ubiquitously as others. Staropramen seems to be the most widely available Czech lager. My vote is going to Stella, it’s got an unfair reputation in my view. The nickname ‘wife beater’ for a 5.2% Beer is out of date now when anything under that in the craft world seems to get the word ‘session’ attached. Stella is all malt, dry, clean and refreshing. Good enough for me tonight. Twice.

I don't believe Stella is all malt, certainly not in cans. We had some left by party guests after our engagement party, so I supped a few cans, as it was my lager of choice when in a real ale desert. Jesus, how the mighty have fallen - I swear you could taste the corn. Also, it's sub 5% now, isn't it?

Yeh you’re right. It has maize in it now, I was taken in by the fact they still use the ‘only four ingredients’ motif, but maize has now replaced yeast. I couldn’t taste it. But in the name of science I’m about to have a Budweiser.

Last edited:
I've been doing some serious research on this while there is sod all else about and three of us think that Kronie in cans is now better than bottled Peroni, Cobra and San Miguel and tons better than Stella. We have done many nights testing this. I like the Hophouse 13 in comparison to the other big bottles.

We've done loads of side by sides of Polish cans but the problem is that more than half the time they're 'gone off' to the point where reviewing them became ridiculous, like 2 out of 10 cans wouldn't have that same awful taste.

I don't believe Stella is all malt, certainly not in cans. We had some left by party guests after our engagement party, so I supped a few cans, as it was my lager of choice when in a real ale desert. Jesus, how the mighty have fallen - I swear you could taste the corn. Also, it's sub 5% now, isn't it?
Stella has certainly been cheapened over the years. Back in the 90s and early 2000's I used to really enjoy a pint but now its lost so much flavour. I suspect a malt-for-sugar replacement and fewer hops. Such a shame really.

The available everywhere just makes this an impossible question for me, there just isn't a lager that I like that's available everywhere....

If you allow found in a pub here and there, then Bitburger, it's delicious, and I've found it in at least one UK pub, and in easy kegs in various super markets.

If you allow "good luck finding it", then Dos Equis Special. The stuff is delicious. It is THE best Mexican lager, and probably the nicest lager I have ever tasted, bar none. Luckily shows up periodically in our local Sainsburys now, and is brewed in Mexico, NOT under license. Given Heineken own them now, it still counts as a macro though. :p

Oh and I have to agree, in the 90s Stella and Kronenburg were actually quite nice. These days they're nasty, like every other nasty lager... My first pint of Stella was in the bar on a Sally Lines ferry, and was really nice. Tasted nothing like the stuff sold as Stella now. Back then it was a premium lager, now it's Chav juice...

I often wonder how much the beer has changed compared to how much my taste buds have changed.
I remember as a kid having a swig of my grandfathers can of Heineken back in the 70’s during Sunday lunch and it was dry, clean and utterly refreshing.
Doesn’t taste like that now?

Latest posts

Back