Best Malbec Kit for a first timer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogermort

Regular.
Reaction score
I brew beer all grain (lots of beer) and I do a 40 bottle batch of elderflower Shampagne every year but I've never tried making wine. Can someone who does lots of these please recommend a good Malbec kit for me to try?
And anything I need to watch out for as a first timer! :)

Any Winexpert kit will not disappoint in my experience. The higher you go up their ranges, the better the reds, in particular get.
Also there’s a new beaverdale Malbec which will likely be very good too.

What equipment do you use for the Elderflower shampers? The instructions say it's better to start an open bucket and then rack to a second container and to keep at a constant 20 - 25 for the whole duration.
You need to degas which I've always used a wand attachment on the drill - handy bit of kit.

So basic kit would be 2 buckets (I use one open, and one wide neck), heatmat/ pad or similar, inkbird to regulate the temp, syphons and degassing wand or long spoon...assume you have bungs/ air locks etc.
Looking at 4 weeks end to end but clearing is usually quicker than the stated 2 weeks (2 weeks in primary/ 2 weeks to clear)
Here is the ferm chart when I made mine back in July - temp control a bit more difficult in summer
1606749248063.png

I've got plenty of fermenters, airlocks, syphons and spoons and two fermentation fridges that I use for my beer so holding a constant temperature isn't a problem (other than it will half my possible beer production while the wine is on the go :).

I looked at the instructions and it says to use 'good quality tap water'. Is there a water profile I should be aiming for for best effect? I don't really delve too deeply into water treatment with my beer other than using AMS and CRS from Murphys/Brupaks.

I don't believe water profiles/ adjustment is that important in kit wines - I googled similar myself recently
I just use tap water myself could be missing a trick but they've always turned out drinkable for me (hard water down here)

Thread here I found: Wine and water

Back