Best NEIPA kit? Muntons hazy?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopoftheHops

Reaction score
Hi all, just sampled my muntons flagship hazy ipa (pictured) just before the second hop addition and wow is it good already. Lovely mouth feel and proper fruity balanced taste!

So my question is, are there other kits on par with this or have I found the kit to brew over and over?

There's plenty of ag recipes that look lovely but not much at all kit wise.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20220212_051430.jpg
    20220212_051430.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 55
That looks great! Most AG recipes can be converted to use either liquid or dried malt extract - either with a partial grain mash or without.

As kits go I've brewed many over the years, the Muntons Hazy has been up there as one of the best I've made and certainly nothing to compare it with for that style of beer.

A request from an ignorant brewer/drinker.

What is the big deal with these hazy IPA's? I do like a nicely flavoursome IPA. Most of my own beers have a bit of haze on them from the dry hops but these look extreme. Do they taste astringent from the (over?) use of hops.
The last time I saw a beer that looked like that if was from a dodgy ferment, murky as hell and tasted like sh1t.
I'm not dissing these beers as I've never tasted one, I'm just trying to understand the"hype" surrounding them. Must say that some of the packaging looks overly colourful and seems a bit childish.
So please help me understand........

Cheers Tom

P.S. The Mrs has just gone on the laptop to twiddle with her online shop. I'm going to get her to put some on the list. Any recommendations that Asda sell?

Interestingly, Muntons no longer describe their kit as a NEIPA. It was a NEIPA when I was sent one to brew and test prior to the range of kits being launched to market (it was superb!), but after all of the feedback was received, Muntons decided it was actually impossible to create a true NEIPA in a kit and renamed it a 'Hazy IPA'.

The only kit I'm aware of that is branded as a NEIPA, is this one from Get 'Er Brewed;
https://www.geterbrewed.com/neipa-beer-kit/

Interestingly, Muntons no longer describe their kit as a NEIPA. It was a NEIPA when I was sent one to brew and test prior to the range of kits being launched to market (it was superb!), but after all of the feedback was received, Muntons decided it was actually impossible to create a true NEIPA in a kit and renamed it a 'Hazy IPA'.

The only kit I'm aware of that is branded as a NEIPA, is this one from Get 'Er Brewed;
I actually just read that thread after posting this, makes me wonder how good this beer really was before they tweaked the recipe. You may well be one of the few who will ever know!

I guess to rephrase the question, what are peoples go to hazy ipa kits at the moment?

A request from an ignorant brewer/drinker.

What is the big deal with these hazy IPA's? I do like a nicely flavoursome IPA. Most of my own beers have a bit of haze on them from the dry hops but these look extreme. Do they taste astringent from the (over?) use of hops.
The last time I saw a beer that looked like that if was from a dodgy ferment, murky as hell and tasted like sh1t.
I'm not dissing these beers as I've never tasted one, I'm just trying to understand the"hype" surrounding them. Must say that some of the packaging looks overly colourful and seems a bit childish.
So please help me understand........

Cheers Tom

P.S. The Mrs has just gone on the laptop to twiddle with her online shop. I'm going to get her to put some on the list. Any recommendations that Asda sell?
I'm not sure if hops were previously bred for bittering qualities but what they are bred for now is certainly big punchy fruity flavours, atleast the ones commomy used in neipas/hazy. They are actually low on the bitterness. Sure somebody with more knowledge than me can chime in. Not much more to say other than to try one, if you like it and decide to brew one then this kit has some of the best reviews I can find for the style. As for what to try the only neipa in Asda i can remember is constellations from North brewing co which is a lovely drink.

This is the kit I bought, and I'm currently drinking this too. Mine came out very high SG at around 1.069, but finished only at 1.023. Taste is great! Got a nice body and mouth feel!

I'm not sure if hops were previously bred for bittering qualities but what they are bred for now is certainly big punchy fruity flavours, atleast the ones commomy used in neipas/hazy. They are actually low on the bitterness. Sure somebody with more knowledge than me can chime in. Not much more to say other than to try one, if you like it and decide to brew one then this kit has some of the best reviews I can find for the style. As for what to try the only neipa in Asda i can remember is constellations from North brewing co which is a lovely drink.

I got sidetracked earlier so didn't get any added to the shopping. We'll be popping out to Aldi at the end of the week so will pick something up there.

Cheers Tom

I got sidetracked earlier so didn't get any added to the shopping. We'll be popping out to Aldi at the end of the week so will pick something up there.

Cheers Tom

Having tried Aldi’s offerings I’d recommend to try any one of the major chains as I didn’t find Aldi’s up to scratch. Brewdog Hazy Jane is a reasonable start point and is what got me into the hazy revolution. Plenty of others out there. As to what the attraction is over conventional IPA? A soft bitterness, good alcohol level but not boozy, and a huge tropical / resinous hop flavour with round, soft mouthfeel usually from oats which result in a deep haze. The very best NEIPAs tend to look like orange juice - there’s no mistaking what’s in your glass. Also very easy to brew if you can transfer oxygen-free - the hop aromatics are very prone to oxidation.

An acquired taste - definitely, but glad I did.

Might take a detour via Tesco/Asda on our way home then.
Must admit I was disgusted by the look of them when I first saw a neipa/hazy ipa. Reminded me of a really bad wheat beer (can't stand them). Different colour and more haze than I remember with the wheat but the thought has stuck so that's going to be the biggest barrier to an open mind.

Cheers Tom

Polly's Brew Co are company that makes great hazy beers. They literally look like OJ and are the "classic" looking, juicy full bodied types. Unsure if mainstream supermarkets will stock them, but you may see a few cans down your local bottle shop.

https://pollysbrew.co/

64767319-09D5-4C6F-AFC7-4792C4FA04F3.jpeg

Just bottled a upgraded 1 tin kit. Looks like it’s going to very hazy. Had a little taste and it’s good.
Wilkos IPA (one can kit)
Beer enhancer
Upgrade to American ale yeast
Dry hopped with 100g of galaxy

just need a name 🤷‍♂️

Hi all, just sampled my muntons flagship hazy ipa (pictured) just before the second hop addition and wow is it good already. Lovely mouth feel and proper fruity balanced taste!

So my question is, are there other kits on par with this or have I found the kit to brew over and over?

There's plenty of ag recipes that look lovely but not much at all kit wise.

Cheers
Can you cast your mind back to when you brewed this one as i have a question.

I’m brewing it now, started on the 13th this month and so far so good. The instructions say to add the second dry hop after 10 days, but is that 10 days after the first dry hop or 10 days from pitching the yeast? My 1st dry hop went in on 17th so like 3 days ago and i’m still seeing activity at the air lock.

Can you cast your mind back to when you brewed this one as i have a question.

I’m brewing it now, started on the 13th this month and so far so good. The instructions say to add the second dry hop after 10 days, but is that 10 days after the first dry hop or 10 days from pitching the yeast? My 1st dry hop went in on 17th so like 3 days ago and i’m still seeing activity at the air lock.
Disregard mate, i’ve sussed it after reading the instructions properly. :tinhat:

This is the kit I bought, and I'm currently drinking this too. Mine came out very high SG at around 1.069, but finished only at 1.023. Taste is great! Got a nice body and mouth feel!
Which one was this as people seem to get the 2 muntons ipas mixed up , was it the Hoppy zesty or Hoppy fruity? Thanks

Latest posts

Back