Best Pilsner in 6 weeks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urbangoose

Reaction score
It suddenly dawned on me today that in 6 weeks i will be 50 - hopefully lockdown will have eased and sun will be shining. Would like to make a good rounded Pilsner - can it be done in 6 weeks? If so, any recipes would be most gratefully received. (will need to be bottle conditionEd)

It suddenly dawned on me today that in 6 weeks i will be 50 - hopefully lockdown will have eased and sun will be shining. Would like to make a good rounded Pilsner - can it be done in 6 weeks? If so, any recipes would be most gratefully received. (will need to be bottle conditionEd)

Yes, you can. Your favourite lager recipe but use Mangrove Jack M54 yeast.

Definitely! Use 34/70 (2 sachets) and use the quick lager method. Ferment at 20c, cold crash and use finings like gelatin to drop it clear, then bottle, leave at 20c for 2 weeks then keep cold until the party.

Alternatively you could use a Kolsch yeast or I like doing pseudo lagers fermented at around 16c using Gervin from Wilkos (i.e. Nottingham ale yeast).

Yes, you can. Your favourite lager recipe but use Mangrove Jack M54 yeast.
I’ll 2nd the M54 mangrove jacks yeast, I’ve been using for a while for my Pilsner, says you don’t need to Lager but I still leave mine for several weeks.
3C61F3C2-AF60-4CF8-AFA9-C51FFC21FAA1.png

So peeps - Pilsner done, used two packs of Mangrove Jacks as thats all I had in stock - chilled for 10deg and nothing, not a bubble - been two days now and totally inactive. Tried agitating it a little - any clue as two what’s happening? Made a few pilsners in the past, never experienced this before

T
Used M84 - Bohemian Lager yeast
Temp should be ok then, after mentioning the m54 Californian I thought that was what you were using. I always use servomyces (white labs) in the last 10 mins of boiling and ive never had any problems with any of the MJ yeasts, always tend to start off slowly after a few hours at the recommended temperature. Lately though most my fermentation seems to be finished within a week, using a tilt to keep an eye on things.

Iv just kegged a brew a few days ago, pilsner malt, saaz hops. Two sachets of 34/70, fermented at 12’c for two week then raised 1’c a day till at 18’c. Just gotten it carbonated and its very drinkable, very clean tasting, no doubt will get better over the next few weeks.
Everyone whose tasted it (stella/moretti drinkers) says its spot on. Thats overall about three week ferment and 3 days force carb.
So maybe if u bottle carb you could then cold crash for a week and be inside your 6 week target

I've just done a brew using the recipe @AlDaviz posted, which I'm going to bottle, but I'm interested in using the quick lagering technique.

Will the beer still bottle condition OK after lagering?

Mine is all Saaz, very interesting aroma during the boil and looking forward to it. Not sure if the malt has more sugar in it but it left a hell of a mess on the floor of the kettle, so much it tripped the safety a couple of times!!

Mine is all Saaz, very interesting aroma during the boil and looking forward to it. Not sure if the malt has more sugar in it but it left a hell of a mess on the floor of the kettle, so much it tripped the safety a couple of times!!
Ouch ! Yes my grainfather was a little burnt on bottom but I left overnight to soak overnight and cleaned ok.
latest I added 500g of carabohemian malt, so be interesting how it is. Bottled a couple of weeks ago so be good to try when I’m home next week 😊

I've just done a brew using the recipe @AlDaviz posted, which I'm going to bottle, but I'm interested in using the quick lagering technique.

Will the beer still bottle condition OK after lagering?
Hey 👋
After fermentation with mj Californian yeast, I’ve allowed mine to condition in a secondary for 7x weeks before bottling. They’ve always carbonated maybe 3-4 weeks. I’ll add a photo when I’m home next week of the darker Pilsner I’ve made.

Hey 👋
After fermentation with mj Californian yeast, I’ve allowed mine to condition in a secondary for 7x weeks before bottling. They’ve always carbonated maybe 3-4 weeks. I’ll add a photo when I’m home next week of the darker Pilsner I’ve made.
Wow that is patience!! Not sure I'm looking to go that long but will definitely go for a couple of weeks. Looking forward to hearing about the darker version.

Wow that is patience!! Not sure I'm looking to go that long but will definitely go for a couple of weeks. Looking forward to hearing about the darker version.
I’ve always got something on the go !
Imperial stout drinking, Hazy Neipa (with marmelade), too ! And the Pilsner should be good to go.
Next week I’m planning on a brewing a Belgian golden ale.

Back