Best Pilsner in the UK?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it's brewed in Burton now.
To think, "it's brewed in Burton now" is now tantamount to a slur - when once it was a claim to be the finest of high quality in brewing .
Such a fall from grace.
There are still the bright flames of independent excellence still there, so hold on to the faith and believe the best of British brewing will survive the merciless grasp of faceless international corporate ownership.
It is just such a pity the megacorporations have taken over control of some of most of the finest brewing resources in the UK found there.
Drink Burton Bridge Brewery beers (I await others to be added here) and support Real British beer.
I think I need a 🍺 now that's off my chest. .

Tesco sell Paulaner Munchener Hells which is lovely and would be my 1st choice, after that Budvar, Krombacher and Warsteiner are easy to get hold of if you want traditional pilsners.

Kalnapilis original (Lithuania) or Zlaty Bazant 12 (Slovakia) are very good if you have any Eastern European shops nearby.

I think this is made under licence (at least the stuff you find in supermarkets here)
An interesting thing about Staropramen is yes the stuff you get in the UK is now made under licence and is truly nasty, however Sainsburys own brand Czech Pilsner is made by Staropramen in the Czech Republic, basically its genuine Staropramen. Funny when you look on the shelves and the stuff in Staropramen bottles isn't actually Staropramen and costs nearly £3 per bottle and the stuff next to it is in fact Staropramen in Sainsbury bottles and costs £1.75 a bottle.

Hofmeister.

The relaunched beer is exceptional.

For a stronger beer I agree with the earlier poster who quoted Peroni Gran Riserva.

Assuming this is a list of the best pilsners you can buy in the UK (rather than the best brewed in the UK) I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Augustiner Lagerbier Hell. Not the easiest to find in a supermarket, but simple enough to buy online in the UK.

I'm also a fan of Manchester Union Lager, but it's way better on draft than out of the cans

Assuming this is a list of the best pilsners you can buy in the UK (rather than the best brewed in the UK) I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Augustiner Lagerbier Hell.

Probably because it's a helles rather than a pilsner? You could also add in Donzoko Northern Helles if you're just doing random lagers.

As the title says really, it’s the brother in laws birthday and I wondered if you had any suggestions other than Pilsner Urquell!

Probably too late, but assuming you mean pilsners as opposed to random lagers, then Lost & Grounded Kellerpils is the obvious benchmark that is relatively easily available - it's in Waitrose (albeit typically not refrigerated). There's a couple of small, Czech-inspired breweries like Moravka in the Peak District and Bohem in London (and there's another newish one in London whose name I forget). The great water in the Peak District means that it's becoming the British Bohemia, there's a lot of decent lager being made there now. The various RedWillow ones with Hana malt are lovely on draught, not had them in can. Oh, and Braybrooke near Market Harborough.

But don't knock Urquell just because it's ubiquitous, it's still good stuff.

Latest posts

Back