Best place to buy DME?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwiseman77

Landlord.
Reaction score
Any suggestions of a good place to buy DME, I swear it's going upin price, close to 7 quid a kilo most places now. The malt miller is one of the cheapest but out of stock of light dme

£14 for 3kg at the homebrew company above , extract is the most expensive to brew . If you have pots big enough for extract brewing then i'll not be long before all grain , all grain is the cheapest beer to brew (not including equipment of course) and gets the best results (most times)

pittsy said:
£14 for 3kg at the homebrew company above , extract is the most expensive to brew . If you have pots big enough for extract brewing then i'll not be long before all grain , all grain is the cheapest beer to brew (not including equipment of course) and gets the best results (most times)

Cheers Pittsy, that's by far cheapest I've found. Extract is definitely quite expensive (still a lot cheaper than actually buying beer!) and I would love to go AG, unfortunately there is no way }I have the space for it right now. Still looking for a house with 2nd bedroom, garden, shed etc.... then I can go over to the dark side AND get a dog!

agreed AG is great but the 3 extra hours min it takes to mix mash and sparge and then the cleanup makes it quite time expensive,

dont get me wrong love it, but can see why extract is so popular,

best place i found to get DME was WHS but sadly their out of stock atm -was £4 a kilo!

cheapest option is a jerry can of LME from one of the sponsors, if u can use it up sharpish or have space to freeze it ur onto a winner

Why don't you try BIAB (Brew in a Bag) this approach gives you the AG but without the need to sparge etc so from a time perspective its a fairly quick activity and you only need 1 pot which acts as both your Mash tun and your boiler.

LeithR said:
Why don't you try BIAB (Brew in a Bag) this approach gives you the AG but without the need to sparge etc so from a time perspective its a fairly quick activity and you only need 1 pot which acts as both your Mash tun and your boiler.

Yeah I think that's definately the next step for me, just need a bigger pot and a big strawstring bag....I think there's a good "How-To" on here somewhere

cwiseman77 said:
Any suggestions of a good place to buy DME, I swear it's going upin price, close to 7 quid a kilo most places now.

Again it begs the question of why we pay so much for it in the UK.

http://www.brewshop.co.nz/light-dry-malt-extract.html NZ$11.95 a kilo equates to £6.60. Not far off the £7 a kilo mentioned, but much of the malts sold in NZ are of UK origin and have had to be exported half way round the world. Why then are they still cheaper than buying them in the UK?

LME's have a bigger differential. It costs about 60% of the price in the UK, to buy the same UK produced LME in NZ! :hmm:

RobWalker said:
check LHBS too, mine charge £2.30 per 500g. I find it gets a lot cheaper if you brew to 20L instead of 23L...

Unfortunately my closest HBS is Edinburgh, not exactly worth the petrol but if I'm ever in the city and have a spare half hour I'll be popping in.

The home brew company is still the best place I can find to buy DME from , they sell three kilos of all varieties for £15 , at five pounds for a kilo surly unbeatable IMO 👍

Latest posts

Back