Best Star SAN Alternative including all new Chemsan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urbangoose

Reaction score
Hey brewers

With Star San becoming an increasingly rare commodity, can anyone give me a steer on what you believe is the best substitute?

My stock is now pretty much gone

Thanks All

I use proxitane, better than Star San, supposedly the best germicide known to man. No need to wait for it to dry like Star San, just rinse with proxitane and use.

I now use the Bleach & White Vinegar method, Mix is 1 teaspoon of bleach to 1 gallon of water first and then 1 teaspoon of White Vinegar mix well. Amazing results and very quick because you don't need to leave stuff in soak just rinse and drain for a minute of off you go! DO NOT MIX BLEACH & VINEGAR TOGETHER, dilute the bleach in the water first!

As others have said Bleach and vinegar makes a great no -rinse sanitiser. This is going to be my go to once my star san runs out. As others have said dont mix the bleach and vinegar directly as you'll create chlorine gas

https://beerliever.com/bleach-no-rinse-sanitiser-home-brewing-beer/

If you got to the commets down the bottom someone converts things into ml/L

I might have to do some sort of sticky for this as Star San seems to be running out everywhere

I use this and I get it in a local food outlet for around £5.50 but I'm quite liberal with it but does have similar ingredients to Starsan and have not had any infections using it.
a3070de1995dae85d79c2c2212ef2c18.jpg

I bought a 500ml bottle of Neale's 'No Rinse Sanitiser' at least 5 years ago and I still have half the bottle left. 1.5ml per litre and a contact time of only 30 seconds required. At this rate, it will last me a decade and only cost £15. That's a bargain in my book.

I bought a 500ml bottle of Neale's 'No Rinse Sanitiser' at least 5 years ago and I still have half the bottle left. 1.5ml per litre and a contact time of only 30 seconds required. At this rate, it will last me a decade and only cost £15. That's a bargain in my book.

Repackaged Starsan (I think but don’t quote me!) I’m nearing the end of my bottle! Good stuff and as you say lasts for years regardless of what the shelf life supposedly is

There’s no need to wait for starsan to dry either though?
According to their product tech sheet it has to dry.

Homebrew use: Thoroughly wash all surfaces with detergent or a compatible cleaner, followed by a potable water rinse before application of sanitizing solution. Prepare a use solution of 1 oz. of Star San per 5 gallons of tap water. Apply on surfaces with a cloth mop, sponge, spray or by a 5 minute immersion. For spray applications, use a course mist, with pump or trigger spray. Spray 6 to 8 inches from surface; rub with a brush, cloth or sponge. With spray, cover or remove all food products. For all applications, allow to air dry, however surfaces must remain wet for at least one minute. Do not rinse after Star San application.

Perhaps they have got it wrong.

According to their product tech sheet it has to dry.

Homebrew use: Thoroughly wash all surfaces with detergent or a compatible cleaner, followed by a potable water rinse before application of sanitizing solution. Prepare a use solution of 1 oz. of Star San per 5 gallons of tap water. Apply on surfaces with a cloth mop, sponge, spray or by a 5 minute immersion. For spray applications, use a course mist, with pump or trigger spray. Spray 6 to 8 inches from surface; rub with a brush, cloth or sponge. With spray, cover or remove all food products. For all applications, allow to air dry, however surfaces must remain wet for at least one minute. Do not rinse after Star San application.

Perhaps they have got it wrong.
Yep you’re absolutely right, that’s there instructions for home brew use.

Find that amazing that I’ve never heard of it until now, and even more so that I’ve not heard of anyone in the world mention letting it dry fully.

Clearly says it as well.

Yep you’re absolutely right, that’s there instructions for home brew use.

Find that amazing that I’ve never heard of it until now, and even more so that I’ve not heard of anyone in the world mention letting it dry fully.

Clearly says it as well.

I wonder if anyone can be arsed to wait for it to fully dry? I know I cant

Or are they saying allow to air dry, in the sense don’t dry it with a hand towel or kitchen roll?:?:

I’ve listened to many a pod cast by five star themselves, and they never day it needs to dry. And they also state its effective in mere seconds, not the 5 minute immersion it states.

Worth an email to them me thinks.

Back