Best Star SAN Alternative including all new Chemsan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are lots of companies make similar products, Dow, 3M, Ecolab they all have the same thing in common with the instructions, dilute to low pH water 3 or lower 2 mins exposure and air dry

Last edited:
Ordered a couple of bottles from MM, although I reckon I’ve got at least a couple of years worth of starsan left, so I guess that makes me a panic buyer

I've just found this available for between £7 & £10 for 5l depending on where you get it...

Specifically states it can be used in brewing with a dilution rate of 1:80, and cleans in 30 mins. Also seems no rinse.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190928_095742_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20190928_095742_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 153
I've just found this available for between £7 & £10 for 5l depending on where you get it...

Specifically states it can be used in brewing with a dilution rate of 1:80, and cleans in 30 mins. Also seems no rinse.
How about a link? :laugh8:

Hi all,

I’ve just received my order from the Malt Miller which included a bottle of Chemsan. The bottle says add 20ml to 20l of water, which is half the rate stated on the listing which says 10ml in 5l of water. I’ve emailed MM for clarification but any thoughts from those who already use this or Starsan?

I’ve had reply from Martin at Malt Miller who thinks that the label on my 1 litre bottle is wrong. The label on his bottle says 2ml per litre. He had a discussion with the manufacturer about dilution rates before getting stock from them. He has let them know.

Starsan says 15-25 ml per 10 litres of water on the bottle, I always used 5 ml in 5 litres and never had a problem, seems Chemsan recommend the same dilution as I’ve been using all along with starsan. My chemsan arrived today, from Malt Miller, so I’ll carry on with the 5 ml to 5 litres ratio.

5ml in 5 litres is 1ml per litre...chemsan label 2ml per litre,starsan..15-25ml per 20 litres..1.5-2.5ml per litre...
Your 1ml per litre is less than starsan recommend... but if it works...
I've always used the 2.5ml per litre...crikey I could have saved loads!!

5ml in 5 litres is 1ml per litre...chemsan label 2ml per litre,starsan..15-25ml per 20 litres..1.5-2.5ml per litre...
Your 1ml per litre is less than starsan recommend... but if it works...
I've always used the 2.5ml per litre...crikey I could have saved loads!!
hi Clint, the lower end of starsan would be 7.5 ml per 5 litres, as you know the measuring chamber on the bottle has a 5 ml marker on it so I just filled up to it and added that to 5 litres of water. I do give my FV a good clean, using PBW or similar, then a good rinse with starsan afterwards on brewday. I’ve done about 50 brews since starting home brew and never had a problem with infections. So I reckon a decent cleaning process followed with a sanitize at the low end is enough. I’m going to stick with 1 ml per litre unless I find a problem. I’m glad we have a starsan alternative while it’s still not available. Cheers

Last edited:
Back