Best Star SAN Alternative including all new Chemsan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats everyones opinion of this stuff as a no rinse sanitiser?
https://www.nisbets.co.uk/jantex-kitchen-cleaner-and-sanitiser-5-litre-pack-of-2/cw70310l for £13 of commercial kitchen sanitiser. Its no rinse and whilst needs higher concentrations compared to starsan, it still works out much cheaper overall.

• Passes the BS EN 1276 standard for antibacterial performance
  • The product passes BS EN 1276 with a contact time of 5 minutes at a dilution of 1:40, and 30 seconds at a dilution of 1:10.
  • Kills 99.9% of bacteria within 30 seconds - including E. coli and Salmonella
  • The sanitiser is food-safe, perfect for commercial kitchens
key ingredients:
Alcohol Alkoxylate
Quaternary ammonium compounds, benzyl-C12-16-alkyldimethyl, chloride
Didecyldimethylammonium chlorid
A lot of brewers use Quat sanitiser, I have used it in the past.

Our local brewery uses this stuff (label says 'terminal disinfectant, hypochlorite based' / SKU:100864734)

IMG_4957.jpg

Mangrove Jacks Starsan/chemsan alternative was recently withdrawn from the AU/NZ market after a young girl was poisoned, though not fatally.
Just keep all these cleaners/sanitisers out of children's reach

I now use the Bleach & White Vinegar method, Mix is 1 teaspoon of bleach to 1 gallon of water first and then 1 teaspoon of White Vinegar mix well. Amazing results and very quick because you don't need to leave stuff in soak just rinse and drain for a minute of off you go! DO NOT MIX BLEACH & VINEGAR TOGETHER, dilute the bleach in the water first!
Not being a chemist the active ingredient in vinegar is acetic acid which would suggest that ordinary white spirit vinegar would be just as effective as white wine vinegar. Is there any reason you use white wine vinegar as opposed to white vinegar?

Last edited:
Not being a chemist the active ingredient in vinegar is acetic acid which would suggest that ordinary white spirit vinegar would be just as effective as white wine vinegar. Is there any reason you use white wine vinegar as opposed to white vinegar?
I have never heard that it should be white wine vinegar, I used to use plain distilled white vinegar

I have never heard that it should be white wine vinegar, I used to use plain distilled white vinegar
Yep you want 'white' vinegar... that means it is distilled, colourless in appearance and more concentrated (normally 6%). You can get this sometimes sold as 'pickling vinegar' but check the label to make sure it's plain not spiced.

Despite the similar name, 'white wine' vinegar is quite different.

Discovered that StarSan (sodium percarbonate) does a rather fine job at cleaning other things too...

IMG_5014.JPG

These shelves were really covered in baked-on varnish like oven goo. After soaking for an hour in hot percarbonate it came off with just a stiff brush - Result.
Her Ladyship was sufficiently pleased that she brought me a beer (!!!!)

Does anyone use Chemsan with Ashbeck water from Tesco? It goes cloudy with my tap water so as suggested on the bottle I've tried bottled mineral water (Ashbeck) and again it has gone slightly cloudy. I was hoping using the bottled water would allow me to mix some and keep it stored for a week or two so I didn't have to mix new at every different stage of brewing.

I thoroughly mix 28g of thin bleach with 20L water, then add 28g distilled water. 30 second contact time. Can be used no rinse and remains active for at least a couple of hours in an open container. After that though I'd make a fresh batch, the free chlorine will slowly outgas.

could I ask what I think is a really stupid question. I use VWP in solution leaving everything to soak and then rinse with our tap water (which is v soft). What’s the point of a no rinse sanitiser if you have to immerse first in something else for cleaning? It just seems double the work?

Anna

could I ask what I think is a really stupid question. I use VWP in solution leaving everything to soak and then rinse with our tap water (which is v soft). What’s the point of a no rinse sanitiser if you have to immerse first in something else for cleaning? It just seems double the work?

Anna

Things that I've put away clean when put away are just rinsed to remove any dust using running (soft) water and then soaked in the home made sanitiser.

I have some VWP that I use if I feel I need something extra to make sure all the grot's off them before I put them away. It's good stuff.

The advantages for me are that it's an powerful microbiocide that costs very little money.

Also I like keeping everything covered in the solution until I need it.

Last edited:
Star San 473ml available here (The Home Brew Shop if you want to navigate there yourselves) for £18. I got the “catalogue error”, refreshed the page, went back into the “Sterilising and other cleaning agents” section and then was able to add it to problem and it says there are 92 in stock. 🤞🏻

Our local brewery uses this stuff (label says 'terminal disinfectant, hypochlorite based' / SKU:100864734)

View attachment 32203
Blast from the past that stuff. I worked for Diversey about 6 years ago and they've since 'streamlined' their chemical offerings and changed branding so should be under a different name. Good stuff if you can get it though.

just bought 1ltr of the easyclean from brew2bottle and reading the instructions on the back it says 'allow to dry'. Bit confused as I've been using chemsan, which i believe easyclean is an exact replica of, and haven't been drying, just pouring out the liquid and as much foam as possible and then using immediately for FV and for kegs. Really easy and it saves time. I've done 4 brews like this and its been totally fine.

am planning to do the same with the easyclean but has anyone got any experience of it? don't fancy having to rinse or waiting for it to dry!

cheers

I finally bought some Easyclean from Brew2bottle as I got fed up of VWP being an irritant. I made up a litre of Easyclean with 2ml. I soaked my equipment for about 5-10 minutes but I couldn't do no rinse. Will rinsing affect the sterilisation of my kit?

ChemSan is almost identical formulation. Still no rinse. Still has very high flavour threshold.

I know it's no rinse, but I didn't want some chemical in my beer so I rinsed. The question was does it affect the sterilisation of my kit?

Back