Best Temperature for Coopers Mexican Cerveza

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harpo84

Reaction score
Always thinking ahead, I bought a Coopers Mexican Cerveza and Coopers Beer Enhancer 2 to be fermenting once my current batch of bitter is conditioning.

Now... I've looked into homebrew lager a bit (newbie here) and it seems that you'd normally use special lager yeast at lower temperatures than you would use for an ale? I've been checking temperatures in my house / shed and think I could probably get away with the ~12C that I've heard people recommend for lager.

But on reading the instructions supplied by Coopers, it seems that they recommend 18-23C.

Are they supplying normal ale yeast to make it easier for people to ferment at home without refrigeration? And would I get better results if I sourced my own lager yeast and tried fermenting at a lower temperature in the shed or my unheated extension?

Or should I stop messing with it and follow the instructions? ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Always thinking ahead, I bought a Coopers Mexican Cerveza and Coopers Beer Enhancer 2 to be fermenting once my current batch of bitter is conditioning.

Now... I've looked into homebrew lager a bit (newbie here) and it seems that you'd normally use special lager yeast at lower temperatures than you would use for an ale? I've been checking temperatures in my house / shed and think I could probably get away with the ~12C that I've heard people recommend for lager.

But on reading the instructions supplied by Coopers, it seems that they recommend 18-23C.

Are they supplying normal ale yeast to make it easier for people to ferment at home without refrigeration? And would I get better results if I sourced my own lager yeast and tried fermenting at a lower temperature in the shed or my unheated extension?

Or should I stop messing with it and follow the instructions? ;-)

Thanks in advance!

The kit yeast on all but the European Lager is an Ale yeast from Coopers.

Would definitely recommend doing it as per the kit instructions until you know better. Temperatures inside the house are likely to vary much less than in the shed and that is a major factor in brewing success.

If you have an unused extension, turn it into a micro brewery (LOL) :lol:

That makes a lot of sense! And makes things easier being able to ferment at room temperature. I'll stick to the instructions.

The extension isn't unused... it's my kitchen and bathroom. But I live on my own so I can get away with having buckets full of bubbling liquids laying around ;):-D

Back