Best use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisD123

Reaction score
Hi all
have managed to acquire some Gambrinus honey malt, midnight wheat and oak smoked wheat malt. Just wondered if anyone can give me some pointers in uses..ie what styles/types of beer they work well in. Got around a kilo of each. Thanks

Hi all
have managed to acquire some Gambrinus honey malt, midnight wheat and oak smoked wheat malt. Just wondered if anyone can give me some pointers in uses..ie what styles/types of beer they work well in. Got around a kilo of each. Thanks
Use the honey malt to give the taste/aroma of honey in a honey beer.
Use the midnight wheat whenever you want dark color with a mild roastiness.
Oak smoked wheat is the main ingredient in grodziskie.

Hi all

A lot of US recipes for NEIPAs (like Braufessor's popular one) include 100g or so of honey malt, so if you're into that kind of thing it would be worth a go.

Midnight wheat is made from dehusked grain and has a much smoother roasted character than most roasted grains which suits dark lagers, Cascadian IPAs and the like - <3% or so will just give you colour, above that you start getting more of that smooth roasted character.

The smoked wheat malt is mostly intended for Grätzer/Grodziskie but I guess you could try it in any other style that uses wheat malt for something a bit different.

Midnight wheat is used in Black IPA's to give less dark malt astringency so the hops have a chance to shine but still get the colour.
Honey malt I have used quite a few times and can give a nice flavour to any beer really, I use it in golden/blonde ales but be careful to use in small amounts as it can give too strong a flavour and overpower the other malts and hops. From memory I think I use @ 200/300g in a standard size homebrew

Latest posts

Back