Best way to clean kettle elements

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a 56 litre stainless steel boiler with 2 elements and they are probably overdue for a clean. I was wondering what would be the best way to clean the elements? Preferably without removing them but if that's not possible then I guess I'll have to.

Whilst I clean them after every brew by scrubbing with a sponge, there are probably areas I haven't reached and there is limescale building up on them.

Thanks in advance.

Add some citric acid (I got a sachet from Sainsbury's) to your boiler along with some water (enough to cover the element), boil for 10 minutes or so, drain. Add fresh water and boil again, then give it a good rinse.

You can get citric from wilko aswell I just add it to hot water covering the elements it fizzes and the lime scale is gone.

Hey thanks for your replies, that's what I'll do. It looks like white vinegar can be used too. Plus I don't need to take out the elements!

Can you use citric acid in a plastic peco boiler or does it damage the plastic in some way, mine is new so doesn't need doing but just thinging longer term about cleaning the element if it gets a build up of calcium over time ?

Can you use citric acid in a plastic peco boiler or does it damage the plastic in some way, mine is new so doesn't need doing but just thinging longer term about cleaning the element if it gets a build up of calcium over time ?

I always had to take the element out of my Peco boiler, literally every time I used it. The thermostat would cut out if the element wasn't really clean.

If you clean the element with every use though you won't get any limescale build up.

It's not too much hassle to remove the element just one back nut.

I always had to take the element out of my Peco boiler, literally every time I used it. The thermostat would cut out if the element wasn't really clean.

If you clean the element with every use though you won't get any limescale build up.

It's not too much hassle to remove the element just one back nut.

I've done 4-5 brews now in the Peco and do clean the element with a sponge scourer thing, and yes it is spotless at the moment. Will just keep it clean after every brew and hope for the best them. No thermostat in mine (which is probably a good thing from your experience) so just on or off manually.

+1 for attacking the element with a kitchen scrubbie straight away. if you get at it as soon as you have rinsed out the hop debris the crud is easy to remove taking only a few minutes and a tad of elbow grease, leave to dry and it cakes on rock solid.

once its solid then a soak in citric acid will get it back to shiny..

I do scrub away as soon as the wort has left the kettle pretty much, the beery goo comes off very easily, however it's difficult to clean underneath and where the element folds over itself. Plus London water is very hard and leaves limescale on everything.

I do scrub away as soon as the wort has left the kettle pretty much, the beery goo comes off very easily, however it's difficult to clean underneath and where the element folds over itself. Plus London water is very hard and leaves limescale on everything.

same/similar water here, hard as nails, the scrubby pads without foam can get between the elements folds, just keep at it and as soon as you start to move the caco3 build up it all will follow..

10271262946_bef9c0cc0b_z.jpg

only ever scrubbed these elements ..

I use citric acid in my plastic Peco boiler with no ill effects what so ever. I also give the element a good going over with a scourer once its been boiled in about 10-12lts of water with 2 spoons of citric acid. This even works after a two hour boil with lots of dark soft brown sugar for a barley wine.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

I use citric acid in my plastic Peco boiler with no ill effects what so ever. I also give the element a good going over with a scourer once its been boiled in about 10-12lts of water with 2 spoons of citric acid. This even works after a two hour boil with lots of dark soft brown sugar for a barley wine.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Thanks, trying to keep mine clean as I go after ech boil but handy to know you use citric acid with no ill effects. Cheers for poting that.

Latest posts

Back