best way to clean

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
what is the best way to clean a easy keg (mini keg)
I see some as problem with rust in there kegs
so which way is best way to avoid this
thanks

I give a good swill out then add bleach tablet, fill to top, put clear plastic bung in and leave for 6-24 hours then rinse out and put away till next time, so far so good, the odd one has got a bit of rust from pliers when removing black bung

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Having split some old mini-kegs for a sculpture, I would really recommend getting a cheap endoscope? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIFI-8mm-...hash=item21183d899f:m:mnC0uznN8hXZGEntPFTi3PA
I had been using mine 3-4 times and thought they were clean,,,,, after splitting I found loads of trub/yeast build up under the red tap. Not good.
Maybe clean with spout extended and do a visual with the endoscope? anything to reduce the risk of cross contamination and infection is worthwhile.
I now use a chlorinated cleaner, rinse well then starsan. I also now have corny kegs and lots more sculptures to make this winter:thumb:

I give a good swill out then add bleach tablet, fill to top, put clear plastic bung in and leave for 6-24 hours then rinse out and put away till next time, so far so good, the odd one has got a bit of rust from pliers when removing black bung

which bleach tablet do you use

Having split some old mini-kegs for a sculpture, I would really recommend getting a cheap endoscope? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIFI-8mm-...hash=item21183d899f:m:mnC0uznN8hXZGEntPFTi3PA
I had been using mine 3-4 times and thought they were clean,,,,, after splitting I found loads of trub/yeast build up under the red tap. Not good.
Maybe clean with spout extended and do a visual with the endoscope? anything to reduce the risk of cross contamination and infection is worthwhile.
I now use a chlorinated cleaner, rinse well then starsan. I also now have corny kegs and lots more sculptures to make this winter:thumb:
When I empty keg I always open tap out so it lets air in and empties quicker

I use the oxy type cleaners but not the supermarket washing machine ones, they have some odd additive, these ones http://amzn.to/2sHXdh8 work better are stronger so you use less and they don't leave an odd residue. So fill with hot water add the sodium percarbonate and leave it for a few hours, drain and rinse then leave it to dry out and starsan it before the next use. Never had an infection and its quick cheap and easy and I've been using the same minikegs for 5 years now.

Rinse mine straight after use. Put plastic stopper in. Sanitize then rinse when ready to fill again.
Only used them a few times so far but no problems.
I think it was Leon who put me onto a way of getting the bungs out without pliers.
Wrap dental floss around the bung, make a loop with it and use a screwdriver through the loop to prise the bung out. I've been using the kids hair ties. Works a treat.

FYI StarSan is brilliant for killing bacteria. Yeasts however seem to (including the wild ones) still live happily. I have found that a system needs to incorporate a sanitiser that also kills wild yeasts, such as a chlorinating based system. Then thorough rinsing covers both. I use CELLarMATE sanitising tablets 'cos they are manageable and brewery recommended. Then still fill my kegs with Starsan to get the foam though after a thorough rinse with clean water.

As far as I understand it :oops: Chlorine + Acids = poisonous fumes like in world war one. You don't want that,,,,

Just fill it with hot PBW (at about 65C) and shake it like there's no tomorrow. That should do the trick!

Back