Best way to glue my own labels to my bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joiner_8

new to beer brewing
Reaction score
Hi all,
I glued my labels to my pet bottles and wine bottles using pritt stick, they looked fine but when i transferred them to the garage where it is cold the labels started to peel off, I then checked the forum and tried milk but could not get them to stick, what am I doing wrong and is there any other glue I could use.

What glue do you use ???

Hi all,
I glued my labels to my pet bottles and wine bottles using pritt stick, they looked fine but when i transferred them to the garage where it is cold the labels started to peel off, I then checked the forum and tried milk but could not get them to stick, what am I doing wrong and is there any other glue I could use.

What glue do you use ???

mike has worked ok for me as has a pritt stick. Milk soaks off easier though.

milk fails if any dampness.....pritt stick then cardboard boxed with paper/blue roll works in shed

I use these self sticking labels bought in a stationary shop for £6.99. They were bought for a different project but they are ideal. Avery have free softwsare for designing, 5 minutes knocked me up the picture below, OK they won't win any awards but I've a number of unlabelled bottles in my fridge I haven't a clue what they are so I wish I'd have done it sooner.

r8dlpx.jpg

14xyxr4.jpg

I use milk when I can be bothered, laser printed labels. They stick well (on glass) and because they're damp when you put them on the label gets stretched taught when they dry, so when you store your bottles somewhere not so dry they don't go all wrinkly like computer labels do. Also they come off easily when you're washing bottles.
Downside is if it's really damp where you store your bottles then they can go mouldy.

Ditto what GM posted above,
I use sticky labels using Avery to design a simple label, tried flour n water before and that worked ok but its a bit of faffing about and can be messy, I assume the same applies with milk, with sticky labels I just peel n stick and soak used bottles in water to remove.

https://secure.print.avery.com/dpo7/app/GB_en/dpo.jsp The software can take a minute or two to load.

wow.jpg

I found milk worked ok but labels would fall off sometimes so I started mixing a little flour in with the milk and this works great.

I am lazy i just stick small labels on the bottles and put the date and contents on the label with a pen, i dont know where Mrs Tea got them but they peel off easily.

Flour Glue Ingredients
½ cup flour
1/3 cup water

Paper Mache Glue Ingredients
1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1- 1 ½ cup water with 1 tsp white vinegar mixed in

Cornstarch Glue Ingredients
1-1/2 cups cold water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon white vinegar

Simple No-Cook Flour Glue
1 cup flour
½ cup water
1/8 teaspoon salt

I just put a splash of milk in a cup, add a touch of flour, stir it in, then pour a little onto a small plate to lie the labels on it.

I use easy peel labels form A4 labels... ink can run a bit over winter in the shed but not too bad and easy to remove. Currently working on my Galaxy Golden Ale label....do them in powerpoint....manually positoning each one over where the individual label is on the sheet...a bit of a faff but I like that sort of thing.

Galaxy.jpg

Back