Best way to retive yeast from a bottle of beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you
Note that not all bottle conditioned beers are conditioned with the yeast that they were fermented with. Many are filtered and then re-seeded with a bottling yeast that's designed to stick to the bottom of the bottle. If you tell us which bottle you have in mind we might be able to tell you if it's likely to hold the brewery yeast.

Don't know this one-but
The first Limburg Abbey beer was created in 1994 at Ter Dolen. Brewed with two types of malt and two noble hops, refermented in the bottle.
I think refermentation refers to adding a fresh charge of yeast to the bottled beer and I think things might go the way @foxbat suggests. Why not use a bottle yeast if you're going to re-seed the bottle anyway?
But give it a try.
In 2010 voted 3rd best Belgian Abbey beer by the newspaper “De Standaard.
An Abbey Yeast will have a definite and recognisable flavour to it whereas a bottling yeast should be neutral. You should be able to detect it in the yeast starter.

It might be the same strain. Reading through Brew Like a Monk, it seems a lot of the Belgian breweries use the same house yeast for bottling - it's just fresher yeast (top cropped from the primary of a subsequent batch) to condition with

Sorry to piggy back the thread, I’m looking to do a Sussex Best clone for a wedding anniversary’s (they are from Sussex) does anyone know if they contain the house yeast? Maybe the mini keg will? I can’t seem to find out

Sorry to piggy back the thread, I’m looking to do a Sussex Best clone for a wedding anniversary’s (they are from Sussex) does anyone know if they contain the house yeast? Maybe the mini keg will? I can’t seem to find out
Why not send them an email and ask them? It's surprising how helpful fellow brewers can be.

so i guess there is no way of telling if its the fermenting yeast in the bottle or bottling yeast in there until i have fermented with it is there.

ive just started reading Brew like a Monk, hope to get a few good tips from it.
It might be the same strain. Reading through Brew Like a Monk, it seems a lot of the Belgian breweries use the same house yeast for bottling - it's just fresher yeast (top cropped from the primary of a subsequent batch) to condition with

Latest posts

Back